Apple iPhones to be made in India

As of February 3, Indian Information Technology Minister Priyank Kharge stated that Apple iPhones will soon be made in India. This comes after months of negotiations between Apple and government officials of India. According to Kharge, "assembly could start as soon as April" for the iPhones, which will be made in a plant in the state of Bangalore. This change is expected to help Apple's market in the country whose population is around four times larger than that of the United States. Previously, Apple's market lagged severely behind companies such as Samsung or Chinese-based companies like Oppo and Lenovo. Although iPhones have been sold in India for years, this will be the first time a manufacturing plant for iPhones will be run there. Previously, rule were set in place that made Apple hesitant to produce in India, but their view point has changed due to "India's rapidly ballooning smartphone market."

Did you know that iPhones were not being made in India? If not, does this surprise you?

Do you think Apple will make more money from doing this? Why or why not?

Story Link

My opinion: I was surprised to learn that India did not have a manufacturing plant for iPhones previously, considering India is the second largest country in the world population-wise. I think that this will probably help Apple's markets a lot since it will be easier for Indians to buy iPhones if they are being made in their home country.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good summary but you only commented on one day instead of three. You could have commented more frequently.

• I guess I just assumed that iphones were already being made in India since most of America's jobs were being deported to China or India anyway.  I think apple will make money from doing this but I think that this is bad for America.

• I didn't know that iPhone's weren't being made in India, because India is the second largest country in the world. Apple will definitely make more money, because that's all they want, in order to make their product better and better. 

• I think it will help Apples market by a lot since India is such a large country. I didn't know that Apple lagged behind Samsung and the other companies since here almost everyone i see has a iPhone. I'm kinda surprised India didn't already have a manufacturing plant for i Phones since again there country is so large. 

• I knew they where being made in china not india. I think Apple will continue to make money as they are a very popular company including there phones and there gadgets. 

• I am surprised that they weren't already being made in India because usually everything else is made in foreign countries. I think Apple will make more if they have cheap labor. 

• It never came to my mind, that India wasn't already manufacturing iPhones. Especially, because they're one of the top technology exports in the world. This decision will not only allow Apple to earn even more money, but it provides them with potential improvements for their products.

• No it does not because India is not as advanced as the U.S. I think they will because most businesses make money out the country.

• No I didn't. But it doesn't really surprise me because they don't really have the things that we call "normal" in America.

I think that they will make more money, because I'm assuming people in India still have to pay for their phones.

• That's not exactly true, more people in India have smartphones than people in the USA do. However, I understand why you would think that, since India isn't as developed as we are. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker