Animal testing helps out humans in many ways, such as helping researchers come up with treatments, or improving the safety of drugs by testing them first. While there is positives, there are always negatives. This including it being very expensive, animals not having the same genetics as humans, and animals being locked in captivity. They are working on an alternative, that being testing the treatments on human cells instead of animals. This means that it's helpful and preventable, but is it necessarily worth it?

Animal tests on animals do not always produce results that are accurate. One example of this being the fact that 94% of drugs that pass animal trials fail human trials. This means that while it helps create drugs, it doesn't always work out in the end. This means that even though we make drugs and have a way to test them before mass production, they can end horribly. Even with the fact that animals are held captive, there are still laws in place for them so they aren't mistreated. They are locked up, but the researchers want to treat them as humanely as possible, even though that includes testing on them whenever they feel the need to. 

In my opinion, I think that animal testing should be banned, especially because there are alternatives being put in place so animals don't have to suffer so much. I think that it's horrible to torture the animals, even though it helps human life. The animals were free and happy and then we showed up and locked them in cages and started testing drugs on them and killing them. Even though they are making it more humane, it's still very, very inhumane.

What do you think about animal testing?

Should it be banned?

Is it worth looking into alternatives?

Link #1

Link #2

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done Alex! It was posted a bit late.

• I believe animal testing is cruel and inhumane because the animals are given no choice and are forced to be tested upon. Many of the methods used in animal testing are subjected to pain and can cause lifelong injuries for these animals. I think some very good alternatives could be: testing cells/tissue, people volunteering, or a human simulation. 

• I think animal testing is bad but I think it is also good because we learn about what happens to animals if they get drugged and it also helps us find drugs to help people with diseases. I don't think it should be banned. I don't think we need to spend money on finding alternative ways to test things.

• Human testing is considered inhumane to virtually all humans. We test on animals because we litterally can't test on acually humans. If we draw the line at animals, whats the point to testing if you can't test on anything. I think as long as people see human testing as inhumane, we should keep testing on animals. And, right now I can't think of any alternatives to animals testing if human testing is not allowed.

• Yes, I agree animals never asked to be locked up, we forced them. I know that some domesticated animals enjoy human company like dogs, rats, cats, etc. Also if we test on humans it's terrible, but a small rat is fine. No, any animal testing is bad, rats, crows, primates, rabbits, parrots and any other animals that are tested on are smart and don't deserve it, along with all the others that aren't as common.

• I agree, They didn't consent to being locked up and it is very unfair to them especially against their will.

• I think that animal testing is a very bad thing and is inhumane. I think that there are some forms of testing that we preform on animals that is okay because it doesn't affect them greatly. I think that we should look into other testing alternatives instead of using animals in an inhumane way in my opinion. 

• I don't think it is as one-sided as some may think. While I can agree that death and imprisonment aren't very good. I think there are still plenty of reasons to continue it. Many human lives have been saved due to animal tests and most likely more will. There are alternatives, but none provide as useful data as animal testing does yet. Plus like you said, they try to keep the process as comfortable and safe for the animals as possible. I think it is cold but not cruel. 

• I agree, it is very unfair and unjust, but not quite cruel. They atleast care somewhat about the animals.

• I think animal testing is a terrible thing. I know that animals are tested on because it's considered inhumane to use humans as test subjects, but nothing is going to be more accurate than tests on humans. The scientists can just pay the test subjects.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker