Rescue workers struggled greatly on Tuesday, as they could not reach the areas that were impacted by a huge cyclone that hit in Mozambique, Africa. Heavy rains swelled rivers and made it even harder to reach isolated areas due to all the flooding. Aid agencies called this the worst natural disaster that has ocurred in southern Africa in approximately two decades. In central Mozambique, which as the area that was hit hardest by Cyclone Idai, had rivers that overflowed so much they were called “an inland ocean” leaving a lot of people still trapped and isolated. Countless rescue workers have reported sightings of people on rooftops and in trees days after the cyclone hit. In areas near the rivers which were flooded immensely, homes were submerged. The area was so flooded that there was water rising near the tops of telephone poles. “We took an aerial survey, and as far as the eye can see, there was flooding, and deep as well,” said Jamie LeSueur, the leading rescue in central Mozambique for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. “What we are now facing is large-scale flooding on top of an area already devastated by the cyclone.”  Click here to read more!

If your home town didn't get hit by the cyclone would you go out and help those who are in danger and isolated by the flooding? 

- I think people should unite and help  other out in times like these. So yes, I would do what I can to help. 

Do you think that this cyclone has anything to do with all the climate change that has happened recently?

- Honestly, terrible natural disasters have always ocurred, I don't think climate change is the primary reason. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job overall Camilla! Be sure to capitialize all key words in the title and also try to stay away from yes/no questions.

• If my home wasn't hit by the cyclone, I would definitely go out and try to help others with their homes. If I were having trouble I would want help from others so I think that would be a smart thing to do. I think that there is a possibility that the cyclone was a part of climate change, but there's really no way to know if it was or not. 

• I agree with you. I personally would go out and help those people as well. It's the right thing to do considering they are in complete dispair and have lost basically everything they had. All their belongings are gone. 

• I would try to go out and help those who are in danger and isolated by the flooding if it was safe for me to go out, I would also try to at least get essential supplies to those in desperate need. I think that all of this crazy climate change is probably causing some of this incredulous weather, like the cyclone that tore through Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe.

• What you're saying is so true. Safety plays a huge factor. Of course you wouldn't want to go out and help them if it puts you at danger. But if it is safe, I think going out and helping is crucial in order to show support for those impacted. 

• So the midwest of America is flooding, Polar bears are taking over villages from icecaps melting, and now there are Cyclones in Africa? Aint it just a swell time to be alive? But I do feel really bad for all these people losing their homes and I hope they are all recovering and helping one another. I wish there was something I could do to help.

• I definitley think that if my town didn't get hit by the devastating cyclone, I would go and help those who did get hit by the cyclone. It is likely that if there was a chance my town was hit, I probably would know ppeople who did get hit. They should get help and sympathy from those near them. 

• Yes for sure!! Especially in small towns, everyone knows each other and many times family members are scattered around the area. Getting help would mean so much to all the people who were affected. 

• I would help the other people if they got affected by a cyclone. It's respectful to help others and make sure we unite and there okay. Yes, it could be because climate change it has been crazy weird lately. But it also may have just happened.

• I'm glad you think the same way! Helping is definately respectful and helps unite everyone together, especially during rough times like these. It's kind of hard to decide whether or not climate change has anything to do with it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker