Essay Competition

The Council for America's First Freedom announces the 16th annual First Freedom Student Competition. This national essay contest offers 9th - 12th grade students an opportunity to compete for a $3,000, $1,500 and $750 award, as they examine the First Amendment and the history and relevance of religious freedom in America and the world today. This year's topic introduces students to George Washington's famous statement about "mere" toleration in his 1790 letter to the Jewish congregation of Newport, Rhode Island. Students will identify the basic principles of religious liberty espoused in this primary document and will further research and assess how well the United States has lived up to Washington's ideal. In addition to the monetary award, the first-place winner and his or her teacher (or other adult chaperone) will receive an all-expense-paid trip to Newport, Rhode Island in mid-August 2009 for the annual VIP reading of President Washington's historic letter. Online registration by participating students is required by November 24, 2008, and the postmark entry deadline is November 29. For more details on the competition and for a classroom poster and student flyer, visit www.firstfreedom.org, and then click on the red button under Council News. If you have not signed up for your complimentary copy of The Constitution and Religion in the Classroom, click on the blue button (under the competition button) to preview and order your copy today. The free 16-page teacher's manual and DVD contain answers and guidance to the most-frequently-asked questions about religion in the classroom. We look forward to your participation in the First Freedom Student Competition! Sincerely, Isabelle Kinnard, JD, Ph.D. Vice President for Education Council for America's First Freedom 1321 E. Main Street Richmond, VA 23219 804-643-1786 804-644-5024 competition@firstfreedom.org www.firstfreedom.org

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Wait, I thought I got the money?? jk
  • You would post this. Just so you could go to New Jersey. You sly dog.

I'll check it out :D

- Danielle ♥
This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker