1980's farm crisis in Iowa

The 1980s farm crisis in Iowa was a difficult time for many farmers and their families. During this period, there was a huge economic failure in the agricultural industry, which had a significant impact on Iowa's farming community. Several factors contributed to this crisis, including high interest rates, falling commodity prices, and an overly flooded market of agricultural products.

Farmers faced very large amounts of debt and struggled to make ends meet. Many were forced to sell their land or declare bankruptcy. The crisis had a terrible effect on rural communities, as businesses that relied on the agricultural industry also suffered. It was a challenging time for everyone involved.

However, the farm crisis also brought communities together. People all came together to support their neighbors, organizing fundraisers and offering assistance to those in need. The crisis highlighted the power and determination of Iowa's farming community.

Thankfully, over time, the agricultural industry in Iowa has recovered, and farmers have found ways to adapt and thrive. Today, Iowa remains an important agricultural hub, known for its corn, soybeans, and livestock production.

The 1980s farm crisis serves as a reminder of the challenges that farmers face and the importance of supporting our agricultural communities. It's important to recognize the hard work and dedication of those farmers, who play a vital role in feeding our nation.        

sources 

https://www.iowapbs.org/iowapathways/mypath/2422/farm-crisis-1980s#:~:text=The%20Farm%20Crisis%20decimated%20small,during%20the%201980s%20farm%20crisis. 

https://history.iastate.edu/2022/10/06/historian-digs-into-1980s-farm-crisis/ 

https://www.farmprogress.com/marketing/taking-a-look-back-at-the-1980s-farm-crisis-and-it-s-impacts

questions

1. do you think there were a lot of farmers who became depressed in these times 

2. what do you think would be different today if this did not happen 

3. do you think farmers get the respect they deserve?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My dad was in a movie that was made in Iowa about the 1980's farm crisis. It was called "Country".  Good topic choice! I do think your summary could be a bit longer and have more of your thoughts as well.

• It was definetly a hard time for farmers. I think farming would be a little more advanced if this didn't happen. I think most farmers get the respect they deserve.

• farming probably would be further along because this made everything come to a sudden stop in progression. 

• I think there was a lot of depressed farmers back then simply because of what they were going through losing so much. If this wouldnt have happened I would I would assume there would be a lot more farmers just because Farming was definently not as respected as it should be its looked at a lot lower then it is.

• the farmers lost almost everything they had most farmers had to get another job in order to keep their farms

• There definitely were depressed farmers because they were losing their livelihoods. I don't know enough about what changed after this, but I would think that there would be less giant farms and more smaller, family-owned farms. Farming isn't as respected as it should be because it's looked at like a lower class job.

• farmers definitely deserve more respect because people do not realize the work they do for our economy

• I think the farmers were feeling a little down because of all the things that were going on. I think farmers don't get all the respect they deserve because lots of people have no idea what farmers do for the economy but it is what it is.

• I agree that farmers do not get the respect that they deserve

• I believe that alot of the farmers were depressed because alot of people were farmers back in the day. If this didn't happen I would suspect that there would have been alot more farmers. I think that respecting people that give you your food would be a given but alot of people are entittled.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker