Was Helen Keller Real?

Helen Keller was known for many things as being a blind and deaf woman. Helen found many ways to work around her disabilities and accomplish things that seem imposible for someone under her circumstances. Over her lifetime she wrote 14 books, almost 500 speechs, was the first blind and deaf person to graduate college, and some say she flew a plane. 

Helen Keller was born in 1880 to Aurther and Kate Keller. At 19 months old, she was diagnosed with a high case of at the time was called "brain fever", but now experts say it was scarlet fever. This left her completely blind and deaf at a young age. She had to find ways to be able to comunicate. One way is she would interprate hand signals that were pressed into her palm. Helen would also lip read by placing her hand on someones houth as they talked and on there throat to feel the vibrasions. Luckily for Helen, she had a teacher, Anne Sullivan, who helped her get to where she was with education and communicating which lead to her being an author. Helen Keller graduated from Radcliffe College in 1904 and later became the first blind deaf person to get a Bachelor of Arts degree. She wrote her first book in 1903, The Story of My Life. 

Helen wrote books to try and educate people about her journey and what she accompished. She worked hard to promote the needs for blind and deaf people. Her essays and speechs she wrote were to speak out many causes like women suffrage and workers' rights. Many people find it hard to believe most of the things Keller accomplished were real. A deaf-blind person writing multiple books seems pretty imposible. What seems to make everyone really not beileve is that she flew a plane. In June 1946, Keller flew a plane over the Mediterranean Sea for 20 minutes of its route. Back in this time, woman were not usually the ones to fly the plane and she had barley ever been a passenger in one before this experience. It is said that she piloted this plane with help from an interpreter who was giving her the instructions the piolet was telling him. Its hard to imagine a blind-deaf woman flying a plane which is why many people are sceptical of this. 

Personally, I think that she was a real person, but some of the things said she did are hard to believe. Some say she was never a real person at all. There is photographed evidence of Keller and witnesses that confirm some of the things she had done. However, I still find it hard to believe that she got in the pilot seat of a plane and flew it while being blind and deaf. Back then, these things seemed impossible that she even could have learned to read and write in the first place. 

Do you think she could have flown a plane?

Do you think she was even real at all?

If you were in her position, would you push to accomplish as much as her?

https://www.perkins.org/helen-keller-faq/#:~:text=How%20did%20Keller%20become%20deafblind,from%20scarlet%20fever%20or%20meningitis. 

https://www.britannica.com/video/221178/did-you-know-Hellen-Keller#:~:text=When%20Helen%20was%20six%2C%20she,and%20to%20even%20speak%20verbally.

https://afb.org/about-afb/history/helen-keller/books-essays-speeches#:~:text=She%20was%20also%20a%20tireless,in%20Europe%2C%20and%20atomic%20energy.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and excellent summary Vailen! Be sure to comment on three different days.

• No, I don't think she could fly a plane because of all of the buttons and things you have to see. I think she is real but some stories are fake. I think I would try to but don't think I would get all of what she accomplished done 

• Yes, there is a lot of buttons and complicating things when it comes to planes expecially back then. Some of the stories told about her could potensially be fake also. 

• i do believe hellen keller is real, because of all the pictures and stories, but i find it hard to believe and don't believe that she could have flown a plane with her handicaps. if i was her i would push my self to accomplish as much as i could to prove people wrong.

• I think Helen Keller was real, but no blind or def person could fly a plane, all of her accomplishments seem fake but I think she is real. Maybe she had someone else acompany her to complete all of this but I belive that she was a real person just didn't acheive much. 

• I think Helen Keller was real, but her accomplishments weren’t. She may have done some of the things that people say she did, but flying a plane seems like an exaggeration. They could have just put her in the plane seat for a few seconds and said she was flying it as a joke.

• I dont belive that hellen keller was real because their were so many books about her just for being blind and def, plus their is aboslutly no way she could have flown a air plain because if your blind and def how can you see all the controls in the air plaine

• Personally, I don't think that she could have flown a plane if she was both deaf and blind. It is very unrealistic. I think that she was a real person, but didn't do most of the things people say she did. She could barely communicate with others, so how could she have written books? If I were in her position, I would try to push to accomplish some things, but definently not all of them.

• It is very unrealistic and people could have just made stories up about her and some of her accomplishments. I agree that it seems nearly impossible to write a book let alone be considered an author when you are deaf-blind.

• I think Helen Keller is a hoax. How can someone who is completely blind AND deaf fly a plane? You can't even drive when you're blind, so I believe Helen Keller is defiinetly not real. Although many people who are both deaf and blind have accomplished great things, but in the early 1900s to write books and do speeches is fake.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker