Newborn Gabriella Coane was born on August 20th in Houston, Texas. Not even a few days later hurricane Harvey hit, bringing massive amounts of rain and strong winds. Luckily the Coane’s lived in a high-rise building, so it was not damaged, but they saw destruction all around them. The couple then decided to go to their second home in Miami because they were worried about water supply and the chemical fires. A normal 18 hour drive took the Coanes over three days because of detours and stops for the baby. As the couple drove toward Florida, hurricane Irma gained strength, but despite warnings from their friends they continued to their house. They arrived on Tuesday, but by Friday with Irma threatening they decided to evacuate for a second time. Eleven hours after they left Miami, the Coane’s finally found a vacant hotel in Alabama. They decided to head back to their home in Texas after they learnt that their Miami house lost water and power after Irma. The couple completed a 3,000 mile journey for the safety of their daughter.

Go here for the whole story.

1. If you were in the Coane’s position what would you do?

I would do exactly what the Coane’s did, but instead of going to Miami despite warnings I would’ve went to the nearest hotel and stayed out the storm in safety

1. What treasured item would you bring on this road trip?

I would take my banners from Shorthorn Junior Nationals because it was a once in a lifetime experience and I want to have something to remember it.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, but with all the devastation in Houston, they didn't know what stores were open and if they would be able to survive on what they had left in the house. 

• 1. If I knew about another hurricane coming I wouldn't have went back to my town. I would have went to the nearest hotel and stayed there until clear

2. Things that mean't a lot and couldn't be replaced 

I think they did the right thing by leaving and going to a safe place. The newborn would have probably died if they stayed.

• 1. I would definitely get to somewhere up high and safe, I would not wait around for further warnings and not waste time. 

2. I really don't know what I might bring because there is so many things I would want but I really would have to think about it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker