Minimum Wage

Minimum wage is the lowest amount of money that employers are required to pay for their workers. It was first established in the United States with the Fair Labor Standards Act or FLSA, of 1938. Back then, the minimum wage was just 25 cents an hour. This law was created during the Great Depression to help protect workers from being paid too little and to stabilize the economy.

Since then, the minimum wage has been updated several times to match changes in the cost of living. People still debate whether it is enough to cover basic expenses and whether raising it might lead to job losses or other economic problems. Even with these debates, the minimum wage is an important part of labor laws and aims to ensure fair pay for all workers.

My opinion on minimum wage is that it was a good thing to have at the time that it was passed. I also think it should have been raised by now with all of the inflation that has accrued in the past few years. I feel like it should be raised to at least 10 dollars up to even 15 dollars because 7.25 isn’t going to buy you much of anything.

What do you think about the current minimum wage amount?

What do you think it should be set at?

https://www.history.com/news/minimum-wage-america-timeline

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/minimumwage

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I dont think minimal wage has been raised as much as inflation has. But I think it should be raised at least a couple of dallors because lots of people live in povirty and need more money in this economy. also if they raised miminal wage their would be less homeless people on the street.

• The minimun wage hasn't been raised as much as inflation has. I think that minimun wage should atleast be raised by a few dollars. In this economy, you can barely afford a meal for 7.25. Trying to live on 7.25 an hour would be extreme poverty to probably homelessness.  

• I think that the current minimum wage is really low. In this economy, prices are super high and they keep rising, and seven dollars is just too low. I think that the minimum wage should be at least 10 dollars. I think this would be reasonable with the rising prices

• I don't mind the minimum wage really but if they wanna raise it they can do it a little bit but not too much. If I had to set it anything I would probably put it around $9.50 or $10 so that its a little bit over but not too much because a lot of things are raising in price which causes problems for consumers.

• I think that the minimum wage could definetly be raised to 10ish dollars even though 25cents in 1938 was worth a bit under $5 the cost of living has gone up alot since then.

• I feel like in this economy minimum wages is not enough. I feel like over or $10 seems pretty reasonable. This can help with people who need to pay for things other than utilites, bills, etc. But will also motive people to get jobs.

• I feel that the minimum wage should be higher because it's not a sustainable wage for essential needs. The financial struggle of some people is too high and they won't get any better if the wage is set at $7.25. We need to raise it to atleast $10-15 because people need it. We are all growing up and seeing that everything has a high cost and $7.25 is simply not going to cut it. 

• I agree with rising the wages to about 10-15 $ because people need the money to survive. I don't think people can really live off of $7.75 its just not enough to eat, and to get clothes, or shelter. I also agree with about the struggles that people have with financials problems. Not being able to pay bills because your not getting payed enough to pay for it. 

•  

I think the current wage is okay but I wouldn't mind it going up to $10. If we raise the minimum wage we have fewer jobs, fewer hours, fewer benefits, and less consistent hours of working. But some good things about raising the minimum wage is that it stimulates consumer spending, helps businesses,  and grows the economy.

• I agree that it should be raised due to the amount of money that your basic items have become. A good point with raisng the minimum wage would mean that they might have to cut workers or make them work fewer hours.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker