Iowa Governor chooses Apple over Iowa State University.

Governor Kim Reynolds is going to have to explain how the increases in tuition connects with corporate tax cuts to companies worth billions already. The Iowa State Editorial board asked Governor Reynolds about it, and she announced that the tax breaks were for Apple's new data center that will be built in Waukee. On Tuesday apple will begin to earn "about $4.26 dollars per permanent full- time position that the data center creates," according to the Des Moines Register. The money is coming from local and state governments the could be spent for education spending. Apple recorded a quarterly revenue of $45.4 Billion from Iowa. Reynolds stated, "They chose Iowa" which is rising the question, did apple choose Iowa because of the money, or for the values of the state? 

Story Here

1. Do you believe what Governor Reynolds did was justified? Explain why or why not.

My opinion: I understand why she is giving tax money to apple, but this is rising Iowa State tuition, and the more it rises the less people will be able to afford it, making it so people will not be able to get a proper education.

2. Do you think apple choose Iowa because of the money? Or because of our values as Iowans?

My opinion:I believe that, yes apple may have chosen us for the values, but the facts are telling me that apple choose us because of the money. Apple has been getting millions from us, and that is a very good reason to build a data center here.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I understand that she wanted to create more jobs, but I agree that what she did was wrong. And I also agree that people will be in very much debt and will not be able to pay it off for a long time.

• No, I do not believe what Governor Reynolds did was justified. College leaves many students in debt with lots of student loans to pay off. Increasing the tuition cost even more than it already is, is going to negatively affect so many students, especially since the rise in tuition is because of a new Apple date center. I don't thin apple chose Iowa because of our values. I believe they had money in mind when choosing Iowa. 

• No, College is defiantly more important. College is already very expensive, students shouldn't have to pay even more money just because Apple needs this data center. Companies don't look into where they put centers, if they get the chance to make more money and open more things then they will. Its all for the money.  

• Exactly, Apple chose us because of the money, because no major company would really chose a place because of values. And they did just want to make more money, which is most likely why they chose us.

• Not really. College is more important than an Apple company in my opinion. Students shouldn't have to pay more to get a good college education just because of an Apple data center. Apple is already rich and can go somewhere else. I think Apple chose Iowa for the money, because, let's be real, that's all they care about. That's all that most companies care about.

• I agree, a collage education is definitely way more important than a data center, and I also agree that Apple just wanted the money and they dont care about values and could just chose a different place.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker