Will Football be a School Sport in the Future

Will football be a high school sport in the future? With falling numbers, and studies linking football to brain injuries, some high schools are disbaning their football programs, but how far will it go? From 2016 to 2017 the number of high school football players dropped by 25,900. This could be because of parents holding their kids back, the sport's loss of popularity, and other reasons. Several studies every year link football with brain injuries during high school and in the future. Studies show football can impact the way players think and react to situations in negative ways. This is causing several schools in the east coast to disband their football program. Most all of the schools disband their football program for safety concerns of the players. The other reason being not being able to fill the roster. Every year the trend has continued to grow as more high schools kill off football for safety reasons.

On the contrary, many schools want to keep their football program for reasons including, keeping the kids active, more scholarship opportunities and it profits the school. Many parents and students join football because it keeps them active and in shape. Football is a great way to remain healthy in the present and future and it relieves stress. Schools also want to keep football programs going because it gives opportunities to students that might not have enough money for college. Over 10,965 football scholarships are given out each year. Football gives students the opportunity to go to college if they might not have been able to afford it. Finally schools profit in many ways from the football program. Not only does the school make money off football games and concessions that they can use for other sports but football is also a great way to advertise and bring people together.

In my opinion, football will not be banned in schools. I understand people's concerns about injuries, but I think the positives out way the negatives. Being a football player I can say that playing is worth the risk and in practice we learn the correct way to do things so the risk becomes less apparent. In football you make friends, get exercise, learn responsibility and much more. For these reaons, I don't think football will be banned, and shouldn't be banned.

Do you think football should be banned in schools? Why or why not? 

Are you a football player? If so, do you think about the risk of playing football?

If football is banned, do you think other sports like soccer and wrestling should also be banned?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/high-schools-are-dropping-football-students-are-safer-for-it/2018/09/08/4de51c02-b145-11e8-a20b-5f4f84429666_story.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think football will be banned in schools. People love watching football and many love playing it. I don't play football but watching it is an experience. I don't think any other sports will be banned. Even if they are not super safe, that is a risk that every player is willing to take.

• I also love watching football along with playing it. I think there would be a lot of football fans upset if football was ban in highschool.

• I dont think they should and will take this away because there are many kids who want to expierence this andhavent yet and if you take it away its not fair to those who havent been able to do it. even if there arent a lot of people out for football maybe they can combine schools.

•  I don't think it will be banned because it would drop a lot of money that is coming into the school. If they were to ban it, a large group of students wouldn't be in sports. There are other school sports that can lead to head injury. It just depends if you play the sport correctly or not.

• I don't think that football will be banned in the future, however I do think some more schools might ban football because it is bad for heads. Even though I don't play football I hope it does not get banned because it can be fun to watch sometimes.

• I agree, some more schools may ban their football program for saftey concerns, but I don't think it will be totally ban by all schools.

• I think football should not be banned in any schools. The reason for this is because the football trend has been going for a very long time and why ruin it for the kids? Oubviously the kids have the love and talent for the sport so why take great oppurtunitys from them. 

• I agree, many kids love the sport of football, and would be very hard to take away. It is a good oppurtutnity for kids to take part of and they should always be able to.

• Football has been a highschool sport for a long time and is played at almost every school around America. I do not think that the sport should be banned. I am not a football player but I am a cheerleader. Football players get hurt all the time and it usually doesn't stop them from playing. If football was banned from schools, then no one would be good enough to make it into college football. Because of that the NFL wouldn't be a thing anymore.

• I don't think football should be banned in highschool. I also think it is too popular in America to disband. There would be a lot of protests if a lot of schools would disband there football programs. I don't think other sports should be banned either, they're all extra curriculars that a lot of students enjoy playing. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker