Teen mental health experts are focusing on the new hit show "13 Reasons Why", because of it's relation to suicide. The protagonist of the story kills herself and leaves behind 13 tapes which each talks about a specific persons actions that caused her to make the decision to end her life. The show has been very popular and the experts are concerned that it romanticizes suicide. "Had I been watching that as the vulnerable, fragile kid that I was when I was 13 or 14, I might have watched that and thought, -'Oh, that's the easy way out. This is going to get me the attention that I need. This is what I have to do,'" said 19-year-old Alexa Curtis, the founder of Media Impact and Navigation for Teens. "I can't say that there is a group of people that 'shouldn't' watch this show. I think it is more important how people watch it, with whom, and how it is processed afterward," Eric Beeson, a licensed professional counselor who serves as an online faculty member at The Family Institute at Northwestern University, saidSchool districts across the country (including the Shawnee Mission School District in Kansas and Montclair Public Schools in New Jersey) are sending letters to parents about the suicide-related content on the show. Curtis hopes that "13 Reasons Why" will encourage young people to speak out about personal struggles and not view suicide as "a way out." 

I've only seen few episodes, because I read something like this before I had seen any of them and that made me not want to support the show, but eventually I got curious. I feel like the most vulnerable people should not watch the show, because the show it self might not trigger the suicide but it may cause an butterfly effect. I think schools should send out a letter regarding the show and its content, especially if the area's suicide stats etc. are high.

Read the full article here.

1. Have you watched the show? If yes, do you think the experts are on to something when they say the show might cause more suicides?

2. Do you think schools across the country and more specifically our school should send out a letter addressing the content of the show? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have not watched the show, but I've heard a ton about it and I do think that the experts may be right that it shows the "easy way out" and kids that are vulnerable to this stuff that watch the show could just do that because it's a "good idea". I think that it wouldn't be a bad thing for our school to send out letters addressing the topic of suicide because it's really important that parents know whats going on, and if they know that their child is vulnerable, they can stop the child from watching the show.

• I have watched the show...I think that it can be seen in 2 ways: Helpful because it encourages kids to watch what they do and say/ notice signs and symptoms of suicide OR dangerous because it shows people the easy way out/ how to "get back at" others even after your life ends. I think that people who have severe suicidal or depression issues should definitely not watch it because of its graphic content and overall depressing demeanor. However, I think that kids can be cruel, and its good for them to see what can happen if they bully/ harm others. I think that schools should possibly get involved by warning parents/ or discussing the show's topic. Everyone handles things differently, and its better to be safe than sorry.

• No. I'm not sure how to answer this question I think we should and shouldn't at the same time it's kinda of hard to really address the content of the show and having some family members that have done this I want them to address these things and try to help other out of this time of their lives. I think those that haven't overcome these things aren't as fit to help other people unlike those that have over come these and have put them in the past.

• No, I've never watched the show, so I can't really say what I think of that. If someone doesn't have a history of suicide or self harm and everything's good for them in life, then I think they are going to be fine. But it's really up to the parents. If the parent wants to know what the show is about and if it's contributing to self harm or even death, then they should have a right to know about it.

• I have read the book in the past, but I’ve only watched a couple episodes of the show. It’s main objective was to highlight the atrocities of the process of suicide and eliminate the stigma of it being an easier solution. People handle situations differently from each other. An insult could have a great effect on someone, it all depends on who the person is and how they handle themselves. In my opinion, informing families of this show would be a great precaution. Teachers only know so much about their students, while their families may deem their children too vulnerable to watch the show.

• I have watched the show and I think if the wrong people watch it then they could possibly take it the wrong way like you said, the show itself would just portray suicide as the way way out and I don't think that's right.  I think it is a good idea for some schools to send out letters just warning parents what is in this show.

• Yes I have, and it could depending if they bring up memories or ideas from it but, I think its more towards to show people how their actions can lead up to an event like this, but I think she would've had to been super emotional because some of the reasons weren't serious, but it might of been piled on to the fact about her being raped. We could but honestly even if we were able to alot of people would still have it in their head that it has nothing to do with them so why do I care. Eventually maybe though.

• No, I have not watched the show. I mean if it could stop someone from doing that than yeah I think that schools should send out letters about the show. 

• Yes i have seen the show and yes it is very scary to watch but i feel that they made the movie to raise awareness in Suicide and why everything you say represents you but yes it might cause more suicides and for the better or worse this show is going to do something to the society. 

• I agree with you. I too feel like this show will get the society to change in some way. It might be a little thing like people being more aware and knowledgeable in suicide or it can make a bigger impact in making people think how their actions can affect others. I hope that people watching this show can learn something from it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker