Which is more popular, Turkey or Ham on Thanksgiving?

During Thanksgiving many Americans purchase Turkey or ham, or both! But which one is better? 

Turkey is a staple item on a Thanksgiving table, but how did it become known as the Thanksgiving bird? Well when the settlers dined for Thanksgiving with the wampanoag tribe they had different kinds of meat and sides on the table. Historians don’t know if a turkey was served but a letter from a pilgrim, Edward Winslow, stated that a turkey hunting trip was before the meal. Some historians believe that early settlers took inspiration from Queen Elizabeth I in serving turkey on the table instead of goose. Although we might never truly know the reason for picking turkey on Thanksgiving, we do know that it's a classic.

Another popular item to be served on Thanksgiving is ham. There isn’t a set history on why ham was chosen for Thanksgiving. Many people do not like turkey and ham is a great substitute for it. Ham also is easily available for many people to purchase and it’s a great alternative for people to mix up their holiday meal.

Both options are very popular to set on a dinner table. Americans consume about 46 million turkeys and 24 million pounds of ham just on Thanksgiving. A survey done by toronto news states 58% of people prefer turkey over ham on thanksgiving. Personally I like turkey more than ham and I look forward to eating it every year on Thanksgiving 

Sources:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/10/08/turkey-or-ham-thanksgiving-debates/#:~:text=Turkey%20was%20a%20resounding%20winner,per%20cent%20of%20the%20vote

https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-do-we-eat-turkey-on-thanksgiving#:~:text=Some%20historians%20say%20the%20early,States%20than%20the%20bald%20eagle

Do you like Turkey or Ham more? 

What’s your favorite dish to eat on Thanksgiving? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like Ham more that because I think turkey get dryed out and ham doesn't. Turkey is alos good but need to not me dry. I like Ham the most at thankgiving because it warm and very good.

• I like turkey more for thanksgiving setting, because it would feel wrong having ham or something on thanksigving when everyone has turkey. I usually eat ham on Christams instead. My favorite dish is sweetpotatoes, or dinner rolls, and even the turkey itself.

• I personally like turkey better i have never been a fan of ham. My favorite dish for thanksgiving would be turkey and also stuffing is a good dish also.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Great options! Personally I'm not a fan of ham but I understand why people like it more. I also love greenbean casserole. 

• I like ham more. I feel like it has way more flavor. I still do occasionally eat turkey but if I had to choose one it would be ham.  I really like green bean casserole and my great grandmas homemade orange jello. I think that they are the best!

• I feel like turkey is really bland. I like eating ham more because I feel like it has more flavor. I really like green bean casserole or mashed potatoes for thanksgiving. They are the best in my opinion. 

• I enjoy eating turkey more than ham when eating a Thanksgiving meal. Although I do sometimes like ham, turkey is more special to eat during the holidays, and fits better with the rest of the Thanksgiving food. I don't think I can choose a favorite Thanksgiving food, as they all are very good.

• I never really liked Thanksgiving diners in general. If I had the decide though, I would much rather perfer ham over turkey. I think ham just better flavor and texter.

• I think that turkey is generally better than ham, although there is exceptions. I say this because turkey can often times be overcooked and dry. I do not have a favorite dish to eat on Thanksgiving, but I do like almost all Thanksgiving food. One dish that I do not like is green bean casserole.

• I would prefer turkey because it has more flavor than ham and it is mor filling. My favorite dish is turkey and gravy over mashed potatoes with corn, stuffing, green bean casual and oreo fuff.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker