What is happening with malls?

Malls have been a popular hang out place among teens since the 1960's.  That was only four years after Victor Gruen made a model of what a mall would look like and had the first one built. By 1975 shopping malls contributed to 33% of retail businesses' money. By 1992 malls were at their peak of popularity and the malls were contributing to over half of the money retail businesses were making. So when did it all go wrong? Because, malls are starting to shut down because businesses/retailers are not getting the money they need to keep the doors open. It all started to become less popular in 2008 when online shopping websites started to get more popular. So when people started to shop online the businesses inside the malls don't have money the mall tends to try to find other businesses to move in. Since a lot of businesses are switching to online or just going bankrupt the malls do not have the money to keep their doors open. But why is that? It could be the fact that when everyone was in lock down for covid 19 and businesses were making more money online, or it could be that the businesses were drowning in debt trying to keep there doors open.  A lot of businesses switched to online during covid in the hope they might make more money because they don't have to pay the mall to be there and because businesses were on lock down.  

What do you think would help malls to get more people to shop there?

When was the last time you went to a mall?

Do you think malls should stay open and why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree I love going to malls that actually have businesses I like going to verses the ones that are on there last leg that only have maybe like three businesses in them. I also love shopping online because it is convent.

• I think if they started having more sales and also trying to advertise it more. Last time I went to the mall was probably when I was 12 to see santa and I have not been back once. I think that online shopping is getting so big so people arent going out anymore. I think malls should stay open some people still go there.

• I think malls should start putting more attractions in thier malls. Like fun minigames, such as arcade, mini golf, paintball, lazer tag, or go karts. I know it would be very expenisve but they would get thier money back within a week. everyone loves the mall from what i know, they just need to spive it up a little. i went to the mall like a month ago. I think malls should stay open, it is where i get all my clothes.

• I agree I think malls need to do something that just brings them back to life wether that is a new paint job, getting new stores, or even just adding a fun game that they would have. I also get a lot of clothes from the mall but I get some online because they don't have an in person store.

• I think that it is hard to get people to shop in malls because online shopping is easier and more convenient. The last time I went to the mall was a couple weeks ago. I think malls should stay open for poeple that don't like online shopping and because it produces a lot of jobs.

• I think that there are not as many people shopping at malls because online shopping has gotten very big and much more convenient for many people. I don't go to the mall very often. We aren't super close to one, but I feel like if there was one closer, I would go to it pretty often because I like to be in person and see what I am buying and not have to be surprised with what I purchased. I think malls are good places to go and shop and they should stay open. 

• I think that malls are becoming a thing of the past now with everyone online shopping. Stores only need a warehouse full of their goods to get by anymore because people don't need to leave the comfort of their home to get goods. I think malls are great places to go and should stay open.

• I think people arent going to malls anymore because online shopping is very popular. Lots of people just shop online and get stuff delievered to your house instead of going to the city and trying to find what you want and its not even there because a lot of stores are closed in malls.

• I think that malls are becoming more unpopular because or online shopping. I think its been a few years since I have been to a mall and even then there wasnt a lot of people there. I dont think malls should stay open because they will soon loose money because of online shopping. 

• I agree as online shopping keeps growing malls are going to keep closing  because they can't keep up with they trends as much. I also feel like fewer and fewer people end up going to malls when they can order the same thing online.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker