What is currently happening with climate change?

High-temperature extremes and heavy precipitation events are increasing, glaciers and snow cover are shrinking, and sea ice is retreating. Many people believe that climate change is entirely the result of human-produced factors. Others believe that our effect is inconsequential and that the earth is simply going through a natural phase. In reality, the problem is ultimately a blend of both.

How long do we realistically have to affect significant change according to many climate experts? In 2022 these experts reached a consensus that we have until approximately the year 2030 before we begin to reach a point at which there will be no return. In the United States alone record blizzards have occurred in the Northeast, while extended drought conditions persist throughout the Midwest and Southwest. They even had blizzard warnings in Los Angeles, California.

Conversely, Climate change skeptics say that climate change is natural and normal. It has occurred numerous times throughout natural history. Living things have always adapted to the changes. They argue that plants, animals, and humans all survived the last Ice Age. Finally, many skeptics contend that climate change is actually good for us since it has allowed us to evolve into a stronger species.

In conclusion, there is validity to both sides of the equation. What needs to be determined is whether we need to act immediately to avoid immenent disaster or simply ride out the storm.

https://www.globalchange.gov/climate-change/whats-happening-why

https://www.thehealthyjournal.com

https://www.rainforest-alliance.org

1) What are your opinions of either side of the argument?

2) How would you support your opinion?

3) Do you believe there is an opportunity for compromise?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe that climate change is a real thing that is increasing because of humans. I think that we need to stop digging up the earth and make better renewable resources. At the moment we are making the world by producing a bunch of non-needed items and goods.

• I believe that climate change isn't completely real at all. If anything, we have gotten colder in most places. I think we just need to do a little better cleaning up the earth and littering and just doing things to help our planet like planting trees and preserving jungles and natural land.

• Climate change is happening and we have to do something about it if we want to continue living on this planet. I don't think that this is an opinion but rather a fact and it is about accepting that fact and trusting in science.  97% of actively publishing climate scientists agree that global warming and climate change is caused by humans. We can see a massive increase of emissions since the industrial revolution. The climate never has changed so fast in the past. 

• The part of climate change caused by humans is horrible and we need to do something about it. All the arguments I have ever heard about climate change have scientists on one side and politicians on the other. I don't know about you, but I'm going to believe the scientists. If scientists can find a cost-effective solution to climate change, I would like to think politicians will use it.

• I think climate change is real but it is not an issue. We aren't seeing problems where we live, and until we do, I think we should just not worry about it. You will often see things like, glaciers melting and the amount of snow gone off mountains. But I fail to see how things like that will affect us in the future. 

• I disagree that we shouldn't worry about it at all maybe not to the degree some say but we should definitely try to find ways to prevent climate change if possible.

• I think that climate change is a problem that needs to be solved and is getting worst and worst every year. I believe the government should be more involved and try to help as much as they can. Some options could be reducing plastic, not wasting energy, etc. 

• I think it is getting a little bit warmer each year, I know that ice is melting in the artic and it creating sea levels to rice pretty fast. I belive we can stop it by using less factors and just not populating as much.

• how do you propose we populate less and what factories would we get rid of? I agree with what you are saying but I don't know how we would do those things.

• In my opinion, climate change is a bad promblem and that need to be acted more. I think that if the government should be able to get in involved to climate change because there is a lot of climate change that is killing many animals and doing more harmul things.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker