What belongs at the top of the tree?

A tree topper is the large ornament placed on the very top of a Christmas tree. No one knows exactly where they originated, but their first on record use was in Germany in the 1600s back when baby Jesus tree toppers covered family trees covered with gold glitter, gingerbread and apples. 

As time has gone on, angel toppers had become the most popular In England during the 17th century. It makes sense since angles play a large part in the Christmas nativity story and have many Christmas carols to back it up like  “Hark the Hearld Angels Sing ''. However the angle on top of the tree to most people represents the heavenly messengers who announced the birth of Jesus Christ.

As more and more years have gone by, star tree toppers have gained popularity. Many people today purchase all different shapes, sizes, and colors of these christmas star toppers to place on top of the family tree representing the very well known star of Bethlaham. 

Years and years later Christmas tree toppers are still used in many households that choose to celebrate the season of Christmas. However, today there are more creative tree toppers that have expanded beyond just stars and angles placed at the top of the tree. Unique ideas of these christmas tree toppers keep getting better and better each year consisting of snowman, elfs, candy canes, and even santa.

In my opinion I think that both the star and the angel on top of the tree are equally as special. My family places an angel on one of our trees and a star on the other during the holidays. 

• What do you place on top of your tree?
  • Do you prefer a star or an angle?
  • Do you place something other than an angel or star on your tree?

Sources 

https://www.southernliving.com/holidays-occasions/christmas/decor/history-christmas-tree-angel-topper 

https://treebuddees.com/blogs/news/a-brief-history-of-christmas-tree-toppers 

https://discover.hubpages.com/religion-philosophy/Meaning-of-the-Star-on-the-Christmas-Tree 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My family doesn't put anything at the top of our tree, but my grandparents put a star at the top of the tree. I prefer the angel because it signifies the angels coming to Mary and telling her about her pregnancy. I don't really see why you would put anything else at the top of the tree.

• I agree the angle dose have a really strong meaning to many, but so dose the star of belthlaham I think it comes down to a personal choice.

• On the top of my tree in my living room is a silver star and I think that it looks really pretty. We've never had an angel on our tree but I think it could be equally pretty. On my tree I set up in my room I put a Santa hat on top. I think this makes the tree festive and fun for the Christmas season.

• I also place a star on one of my family trees and a santa hat on another tree I think they both are pretty and match our theme of decorations well.

• We place an angel on the top of our tree because it is what we have always done. I think I would prefer to put up a star, but the angel still looks nice on the top of the tree. I think that they both can be special for different reasons and that it depends on the person decorating the tree. 

• I place a star on top of my tree for christmas. I prefer the star because they can be put up easily and they will stay on. I don't place anything else on top of the tree.

• I agree the star is easy to put up and looks and stays on well for many.

• My family puts a star at the top of our tree. I think deciding to put an angel or star is completly up to the person who is decorating the tree so I don't necessarily prefer one more. Both have deep meanings and I think it should be a choice on what you like to put on your tree. 

• I agree both have deep special meanings and depend on your own personal preferance.

• We put a star on top of the christams tree. I think a star is best for the top of a christmas tree. I think it light the tree up good. Some people don't put anything on top of the tree witch I think doesn't look best.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker