What belongs at the top of the tree?

A tree topper is the large ornament placed on the very top of a Christmas tree. No one knows exactly where they originated, but their first on record use was in Germany in the 1600s back when baby Jesus tree toppers covered family trees covered with gold glitter, gingerbread and apples. 

As time has gone on, angel toppers had become the most popular In England during the 17th century. It makes sense since angles play a large part in the Christmas nativity story and have many Christmas carols to back it up like  “Hark the Hearld Angels Sing ''. However the angle on top of the tree to most people represents the heavenly messengers who announced the birth of Jesus Christ.

As more and more years have gone by, star tree toppers have gained popularity. Many people today purchase all different shapes, sizes, and colors of these christmas star toppers to place on top of the family tree representing the very well known star of Bethlaham. 

Years and years later Christmas tree toppers are still used in many households that choose to celebrate the season of Christmas. However, today there are more creative tree toppers that have expanded beyond just stars and angles placed at the top of the tree. Unique ideas of these christmas tree toppers keep getting better and better each year consisting of snowman, elfs, candy canes, and even santa.

In my opinion I think that both the star and the angel on top of the tree are equally as special. My family places an angel on one of our trees and a star on the other during the holidays. 

• What do you place on top of your tree?
  • Do you prefer a star or an angle?
  • Do you place something other than an angel or star on your tree?

Sources 

https://www.southernliving.com/holidays-occasions/christmas/decor/history-christmas-tree-angel-topper 

https://treebuddees.com/blogs/news/a-brief-history-of-christmas-tree-toppers 

https://discover.hubpages.com/religion-philosophy/Meaning-of-the-Star-on-the-Christmas-Tree 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• When my family puts up our Christmas tree we put a star on the top. I think that either is fine for the top of the tree because both can be symbolic and mean different things to different families. 

• I agree both tree topers symbolize something speical and each and every family has their own prefrence. 

• My family puts a star on the top of our Christmas tree. I prefer a star because that is what I have grown up doing. I think that having a star on the top of the tree helps the Christmas tree look complete, it also has a good meaning. I think that it is a fun idea to have something on top of your tree, it has been a tradition in my family of who gets to put the star on each of the trees.

• I agree adding a star on my family tree also completes the trees look we also have a diffrent family member place it on each year.

• i think that tree should not have something on the top because im not agree with the satar or a figure or stuff like that i just dont like it but i respect if people like to put like a star or something but for my self i dont like it 

• A lot of people actually prefer to leave the top of the tree blank in the recant years which I think can looks nice depending on how you decorate your tree.

• My family has always put a star on top of our Christmas tree and as long as I know, we've never once put an angel on top of our tree. I personally prefer to have a star rather than an angel mainly because I prefer it more. I think both of them have a different meaning for every family.

• I agree, I think every family has there own personal opinion based on their beleifs on what looks best.

• We have always put a star on top of our Christmas tree. it would feel weird having anything but a star on top of our tree. I have seen other people put angels and other things on top of their trees, but I think that the star looks better. For one thing, the star is symmetrical, so it looks like it belongs, unlike some angels, which make it look lopsided.

• very good point I think a lot of people think once you start putting something on top of the tree you cant change it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker