A couple of days ago was the Oscars and Chris Rock walked up on stage and made a joke about Will Smith's wife in a way to compare her to G.I. Jane. Will Smith appeared to be laughing at first but saw his wife in an annoyed state and did not find the joke very amusing. So then Will Smith walks up on stage and slaps Chris Rock in the face. After that, he walks off stage in anger and then yells at Chris Rock to keep his wife's name out of his mouth. 

Millions of people saw this happen and it has been going around social media like wildfire. Chris Rock felt bad and made an apology to Will Smith and admitted he was wrong for that. Chris rock did not press charges on Will smith. But the police could still put charges on Will Smith for assault due to such a hard slap and there is evidence everywhere that he hit Chris Rock. Right before the joke was said Will was laughing and enjoying himself and then Chris said "Jada. I love you. "GI Jane 2." Can’t wait to see it". Will was appeared to be laughing at the joke but then quickly saw his wife did not like the joke and decided to get justice for his wife. After all, this happened everyone was quiet due to how mad Will was. Will used some foul language when he told Chris to not say his wife's name. At first, everyone was laughing and thought it was all a joke but quickly realized that Chris took it a little too far. Chris and Will apologized and forgave each other for their wrongful and childish actions. But there is still a chance of Will getting charged with assault but he probably won't.

I personally think that Will took it a bit too far by slapping Chris because there is a much better way of handling this situation. Chris is a comedian and he is just getting people to laugh and doesn't mean to be a jerk he is just doing his job. People need to get a thicker skin and just take a joke and not get so offended so easily. But I do admit that the joke was a little inappropriate since his wife does have a medical problem that makes her have short hair. I think Will should have confronted Chris after the Oscars instead of making such a public scene and making such a big deal out of it.

Do you think Will Smith is in the wrong for hitting Chris Rock?

Should Will smith be charged with assault?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I also saw this happen all over social media and I was confused at first but then understood it. I personally think Will took it too far because you just can't hit someone that is an assault. Chris didn't mean to be mean, he just wasn't thinking and it should have not been said but he was trying to do his job.

• I believe that I understand why Will Smith slapped Chris Rock the way he did. I believe that Will was just defending his family/ his wife. I think that the joke that Chris made up on stage was a little too far and uncalled for due to Will Smith's wifes medical condition. 

• I fully understand why he slapped him I just don't think that it was necessary. Will was defending his family. That joke that Chris made did go a little too far. Making for of someone's medical condition isn't funny. I don't think he will get charged with assault but I heard he might lose his oscar.

• I believe that both Will Smith and Chris Rock were in the wrong. It is not okay to make fun of people, especially when they have some kind of condition, but there are also other ways to solve problems than hitting someone. However, I do not think that Will Smith should be charged for an assault because Chris Rock isn't charging him.

• I agree too what happened during the Oscars was uncalled for. Chris Rock should have not made that joke because it made Will mad. Will should not have hit Chris because that is considered assault and causes a lot of drama for everyone. I also think that Will should not be charged for assault. 

• People are saying that they were both wrong, and while I agree to this to a certain point, it could be a little bit better, Was Will Smith wrong for hitting him, yes, did he have a valid reason, also yes. Should Will smith be charged? No, but do they have a valid reason to? Yes. 

• I don't think Will Smith should be charged with assault, although it was uncalled for and he shouldn't have reacted like that. I think he was in the wrong for hitting him, it could have been handled a lot differently. I think he was so frustrated he felt the need to defend his wife, but he shouldn't have touched him at all. 

• In my opinion Rock making the joke was not okay because it was too personal. Will Smith hitting him was not okay either because you just can't do that in front of millions of people watching but i don't think he should get charged for assault.

• I agree with you because I think the joke was way too personal, to begin with. I really don't think he should be charged with assault because he didn't hit him because he hates him, he just hit him out of anger for his wife to be satisfied. This was a very bad thing to do in front of millions of people.

• They were both in the wrong. Will shouldn't have slapped him; it was a bit of an overreaction considering he was laughing until he saw her face. I couldn't tell if it was staged or not, but if it was the irony was insane cuz he won the best actor after that. Both of them are good people and it got them a lot of attention. It was a joke in the end and they both apologized; Chris Rock isn't gonna press charges. Still sad no one is talking about how Jason Derulo fell down the stairs.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker