Was This Arrest A Set-Up?

Greta Thunberg is a 20 year old Swedish activist who fights against climate change. She tries to reduce her carbon footprint and other peoples. Even her parents have adopted her lifestyle. At the age of 15 Thunberg attended her first protest. She skipped school to protest outside the parliament. She protested for more action against climate change. Six days after her first protest she was joined by parents, teachers, and students. She has now been protesting agianst climate change for 5 years.

On Tuesday, January 17th, 2023, in Lützerath, Germany, she was arrested during a protest. Some people think that her arrest was ‘staged’ to bring more popularity to her. There are other people, including Greta Thunberg, that say it wasn't staged. The police released her out of jail a couple hours after her arrest. Greta then said, "Yesterday I was part of a group that peacefully protested the expansion of a coal mine in Germany. We were kettled by police and then detained but were let go later that evening. Climate protection is not a crime." Many people think it is absurd that she got arrested for protesting. The protest wasn’t violent at all, yet she still got arrested.

Personally I don’t think she should have gotten arrested for a protest that wasn’t even violent. I think that the police were overreacting. She just wanted to share her opinion about the expansion of a coal mine. I also don’t think that the arrest was all set up. If Greta wanted to set this up she would have had to pay people and the police to do what they had to and overall she would just waste her money.

Questions:

Do you think the police were overreacting by arresting her?

What is your opinion on climate change?

Do you think that the whole arrest was a set-up?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do believe that the police officers were overreacting when they arrestest her. But I don't think it was set up because that would just be dumb. Also, I think that she was just peacefully protesting for what she thought was right.

• I don't know the whole story so I can not speculate on whether they are overreacting while arresting her. I also try to stay pretty neutral on climate change because it is such a controversial topic. I do not think the whole arrest was a setup, however, the amount of attention we give it and the discussions we have over it are fueling her publicity. This is giving her even more attention.

• I agree, they were overreacting by arresting her.

• Yes, I do believe that the police were overreacting when arresting her. It was a peaceful protest about something that she believed needed to be shared. She didn’t harm anybody or anything and she was just fighting for awareness of an important issue. I think that climate change is a very big and important issue that needs to be recognized more often. It could be very dangerous for everyone, including animals. I believe that if we don’t make people aware of it now it will become an even bigger problem in the future. Overall, I do not believe that this arrest was staged at all. Of all things that you could do to promote what you’re protesting why would you choose to be arrested? It makes what you’re doing look worse than it actually is. In a way, it makes people think that you are a bad person and it's just not worth it.

• I agree, because she was peacefully protesting. She wasn't being violent at all! I also agree with this arrest most likely not being staged because, as you previously said, this could bring bad press and most likely not help with the topic 'climate change' at all. 

• I do not think that the arrest was a set up, I dont know why Greta would even set up a fake arrest..? Anyway I do think the police were overreacting because the protest was not violent at all. I think what Greta Thunderburg is great, she really gets her word out there about climate change.

• I agree, but if she did set up this arrest it was probably for publicity. I also think that the police were overreacting by arresting her. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker