Was the moon landing fake?

In July of 1969 one of the most monumental events in US history occured. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to land on the surface of the moon. Not long after there were many conspiracies about whether it happened or not. By the 1970s, 30% of Americans believed the moon landing was fake. William Kaysing even went so far with it that he wrote a book called 'We Never Went to the Moon: America's Thirty Billion Dollar Swindle'. He actually started writing it as a joke, but as he got deeper into the book he started believing in the conspiracy. The idea in his book was that the famous footage of the astronauts on the moon was actually shot in Area 51.

A very popular conspiracy is how in the photos of the moon landing you can't see any stars. Why would you not be able to see stars when you're in space? Although you would expect to see an abundance of stars, this wasn't the case. Since the missions to the moon took place during the day, which means the stars can't be seen against the bright surface of the moon, they were too dim to show up in the photos.

Although there are many conspiracies of why the moon landing was fake, there is a substantial amount of evidence to prove that it wasn't fake. The first piece of evidence is the 8400 pictures, thousands of hours of footage, lots of scientific data, and full transcripts and audio recording of air-gound communication. There are also lunar rocks that were brought back, Nasa's high resolution camera that was able to take a picture of footprints on the moon, and spacecraft from China, India, and Japan have also spotted landing sites. If this still isn't enough evidence, there is also the fact that Armstrong and Aldrin planted a lunar laser ranging retroreflector array on the surface. This equipment allows us to know the distance of the moon to Earth down to the centimeter. There's no way to be able to do this without going to the moon.

I believe that the moon landing was not faked. While there are many conspiracies saying it was faked, there is also a lot of evidence proving the conspiracies wrong. I also think that the moon landing and projects were very elaborate for it to be fake.

Do you think the moon landing was fake?

Have you heard any other conspiracies about the moon landing?

Have you ever heard a conspiracy that sounded like it had good logic behind it?

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, there are loads of evidence and data to back up any conspiracies that people might think of. Many scientists have proved conspiracies wrong and there are so many things now that we can do that there is no way we haven't been to the moon.

• I do not think that the moon landing was fake. I think that there is too much information that we have gotten and photos and videos, for it to be fake. It would be extremely difficult for the U.S. to fake all of these pictures and videos. Having to make all of the photos, videos, and evidence that we went to the moon, would also cost the U.S. more money, they would have had to pay for an airplane and all of the fake information.

• I think the moon landing was real - there is more evidence justifying the moon landing than there is justifying the conspiracy theories. I feel like the people who believe in conspiracies like this are just trying to disagree for fun.  Some other conspiracies could be true or happen, however, there are a lot of them surrounding the moon landing.

• The conspiracy that the moon landing was fake is just silly to me. I dont find any validity in the conspiracy, because it's just a silly thing to lie about. We were already doing space travel, as well as many other countries. The idea that we couldn't at least reach the moon doesn't make sense. Even now, we're trying to make it to Mars, which furthers the idea that we made it to the moon, as Mars is much farther than the moon.

• I don't believe that the moon landing was fake because a lot of people actually watched the rocket take off. I haven't heard any conspiracies about the moon landing because I haven't been paying attention on it. I don't think there has been any good conpiracies on if it was fake or not so I can't really say anything about it.

• I do not think the moon landing was fake because there is lots of proof on how it actually happened. I have heard the conspiracies and I don't think many of them make sense. Claiming the moon landing was fake sounds dumb, especially when everyone knows all of the technological advances we have made.

• I agree, there have been so many advances in our technology that just further prove that the moon landing was real. The only conspiracy that remotely sounds logical is that people are saying it's fake because there aren't stars in the pictures.

• I think its fake becuase we havent been back and the technology wasent all that great back in the day, i have heard some of them and the videos explaning why its faked. i think the one that actully sounds real is why is the American flag is up or waving

• I don't think it's fake. Although technology wasn't as good back then as it is now, that doesn't mean it stopped them from going to the moon. They also left a device on the moon that gives us information we wouldn't be able to have if nobody ever went to the moon.

• I don't think that the moon landing was fake. Many people have conspeiricies but I don't believe them. I've seen many pictures and videos proving that the landing was real. I don't see how they could have faked the landing. I understands both sides of the argument and it sometimes confuses me.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker