Volleyball: An American Classic

Volleyball, originally called mintonette, has evolved from a humble beginning to a global sport. The popular game can be traced back to Massachusetts, USA, where it was invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan. Morgan introduced volleyball as an alternative activity for those who found basketball too physically demanding. The concept of volleyball took inspiration from several sports combined into one: the ball from basketball, the net from tennis, and the use of hands from handball. In addition, innings, now known as sets, were borrowed from baseball in order to make the game more competitive. Morgan presented the game at the YMCA Physical Director’s Conference where it officially became a nationally recognized sport in 1896. 

Today, volleyball is played by over 46 million people nationally and over 800 million people globally. Athletes in the United States can participate in volleyball club teams, recreational leagues, or play at the collegiate level. However, professional volleyball in the US has seen limited success. Numerous attempts have been made to start professional indoor women’s volleyball leagues. For instance, Major League Volleyball was a women’s volleyball league with six teams that played for two-and-a-half seasons from 1987 to 1989. Unfortunately, the league ended due to financial losses. The most recent attempt includes the institution of the Pro Volleyball Federation that was announced in 2022. The league currently consists of seven teams from around the country, including a local team out of Omaha, NE, the Omaha Supernovas. The league plans to add three new teams for the 2025 season. The Pro Volleyball Federation has received tremendous support from former athletes, singers, and of course, the fans. The future of professional volleyball in the United States is promising. 

As a volleyball player, I was more than excited to hear of a professional volleyball league beginning in my home country. I recently had the opportunity to attend a professional volleyball game in Omaha, NE. I got to watch our hometown celebrity, Jess Schaben, play alongside other incredible athletes from around the world. I can’t wait to see the league continue to grow and inspire young athletes nationwide.

Have you attended a college/professional volleyball game? If not, would you like to?

Do you think the PVF will continue? Why or why not?

Do you think volleyball will gain more popularity because of this league? Why or why not?

Pro Volleyball Federation

Wikipedia - Volleyball in the United States

NCVA - History of Volleyball

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have not, and id like to. Yes, becasue. It will cause yes.

• I have not attended one and I am not very interested to go to one but I could see myself going to one if I got invited. I do think that the PVF will continue. I do think it will get more popular because volleyball is a good sport.

• I have been to a college volleyball game before, a long time ago. It was entertaining and I had fun. I enjoy watching volleyball, especially when it gets intense. I think the PVF is going to keep growing and getting more popular.

• I agree, I hope that the PVF league continues to grow and add more teams. It has already been a pretty good season for most of the league, I do hope it continues to get more competitive. 

• I have not been to one nore will I ever be attending one, I like volleyball but not that much to go to a college game. I think that the game of volleyball is as popular as it's gonna get, im not hatting on the sport but i don't think that volleyball is gonna gain anymore fame, unless they do something different.

• I've never attended any volleyball game other than our high school ones, and I don't really think I would go to a college or professional game, just because I don't pay much attention to the sport. I think the PVF will continue because it seems to be very popular and growing in size.

• I understand that. I definetly think that volleyball and other sports are more fun to watch when you understand/like the sport and will be actively engaged in watching. 

• I have never attended a professional volleyball match and I would really like to attend one even if I am not a fan. I think the PVF will continue only if they are successful in providing opportunities to volleyball players. Maybe so, since it is supported by celebrities.

• I have never been to a professional volleyball game, but if I had the opportunity I would go. I think the PVF will continue because I have seen on social media how much support they have, and I think that will help it to grow. I think volleyball will gain popularity because it could be more inspiring for people who want to try the sport. 

• I have never gone to a professional or college voleyball game and maybe someday in the future I will go but as of now I do not plan to simply becasue I would rather be doing something else with my time unless a bunch of friends would want to go sometime.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker