Vaping Epidemic

This spike of vaping and e-cigarettes are yet increasing among highschool and middle school students. As much as a 900% increase throughout the United States. 1.7 million highschool students reported they had used the new 'trend' in the last thirty days. For middle school, 500,000. Schools are spotting kids using vapes and e-cigarettes in the school during school hours. These adolescents do not have the ability to make full, logical decisions as to smoke, but they are just adolescents making decisions. 

So, it is for the aesthetic? Is it for the really awesome edits you could create with smoke? 

Joseph Allen, an assistant professer at Harvard, stated,“To me, these are products that are really appealing to kids." They are appealing because they have these flavors that can taste like candy. Candy is usually an attachment to children. 

Joseph Allen also mentioned, "Studies show that one in five eighth graders that currently use tobacco products got there by starting with e-cigarettes... [they] are also a gateway for traditional tobacco use for many young kids."  

Would you ever try a vape or an e-cigarette? Why?

I think I would, just for the one-time experience. I mean, I wouldn't be on the level as using it during school hours. 

Is it logical to state that vapes are a gateway to Nicotine as Marijuana is a gateway to Heroin? 

I don't think that is exactly logical, Nicotine and Heroin both have loads of unsafe chemicals, while Marijuana and vapes have ingredients that are deemed safer. Plus, Heroin is used differently than Marijuana. vapes and Nicotine are used by breathing in or chewing. 

Here is more information.

Here is more information as well.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• You chose an interesting topic and well done!!

• It depends on the type of vape that you are taking. You can get some without the nicotine that makes it harmful and addicting. Yes and no. It depends on what kind of vapes your using, like I have said already. It all up to you if you want to choose the nicotine, or non-nicotine vape juice. 

• I think trying it once wouldnt be bad if it didnt have nicotine in it. Ones with nicotine are just as bad as cigarettes. I dont think vaping would lead to other drugs like marjuana because most people that vape are doing it to try to stop doing drugs. 

• I would not vape or smoke because for one it's a waste of money and because it causes addiction to nicotine just like smoking does. Vaping and smoking just kills you from the inside out. I think vaping would lead to smoking especially if smoking if cheaper than vaping.

• I can see your point, but what if the vape juice did not have nicotine contained in it?  I think your confused with the question.  I was asking more if there was more of a similiarity between vapes and nicotine and Marjiuana and Heroin.

• I would not want to try one with nicotine because I wouldn't want to get addicted. I don't think that people who smoke vapes will go to heroin because those are completely different. Heroin is much worse. 

• No, I wouldn't try it because as this is related to the second question, it may lead to greater substance abuse. Even though it is an increasnig trend among students and peers, another worry may be peer pressure that brings more and more students into it from only trying it once.

• Although I respect your opinion, I don't agree with your idea that it will lead to greater substance abuse. Maybe with some individuals perhaps it created more of an addiction. I dont see vapes as a gateway to nicotine like how Marijuana is known as the 'Gateway Drug.'

• I am not ever going to smoke anything n my life because I just feel that it is not necessary. I believe that they can be a gateway to other drugs, but they are not as powerful as other drugs are.

• It seems like it could help certain people that have mental issues so it would be reasonable for others to use it for that cause, I would try it if it could help with some of the issues I have and help calm them down. No, heroin seems far from marijuana even though they are both related by being drugs and marijuana can be used for medical purposes while I don't think heroine can

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker