Two Confirmed Deaths in Iowa from the Flu

Last Friday, it was confirmed by the Iowa Department of Public Health that there has been two confirmed deaths resulting from the flu. One being in Northwest Iowa from a elderly woman. The other was a middle aged woman in central Iowa. These two deaths are the first ones of the 2019-2020 flu season. It has also been said that there has been an increase this year and that the flu is in just about every Iowa community. The people working behind these cases want to remind everyone that the flu is more than a tough cold, it can be a serious and fatal illness. It is strongly reccomended that everyone gets their flu shots soon. If you want to read more, click Here.

1. How efficient do you think the flu shot is?

I think it depends on the persons immune system. I think that the flu shot can totally backfire on the person, espescialy in young children. 

2. Do you think that the flu targets certain ages of people? 

I think it is easier for a young child or an old man to get the flu than a middle aged man or woman. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the flu shot is very efficient depending on the person and how well they take care of them selfs and their immune system. With little kids there immune systems are just starting and the flu could be one of the illnesses that they are not immune to so they could get really sick and the illness could be fatal to them. I personally don't think that the flu just targets certain ages just because anyone can get the flu and still be fatal to them.

• I agree, at the end of the day, it just depends on how the person treats themselves and their environment. I also think that the younger people are disadvantaged because they cannot get the flu shot yet. 

• I also think that it depends on the persons immune system. But I don't think people should stop getting flu shots because of this or anything. I also agree with you about how it is easier for young kids or the elderly to get the flu or get it worse than a teenager.

• I agree, the outer parts of the age groups are disadvantaged in two different ways. I think getting the flu shot will help in some way even though it's not always effective. 

• In my opinion I do not like Shots I feel like they don't work all the time. I have never got the flu shot and I've only had the flu once or twice in my whole life, I can see how I might help some people but I feel like some people make it seem like you have to get it but I don't think you do. Also I'm not sure if they try to target certain age groups to get the flu shot or not. 

• It is said that the flu shot is only 10% effective. Even though that's a small percentage, it's still better than 0%, it also depends on how people treat themselves and their environment. 

• It totally depends on the person. I have known several people who have gotten the shot and still had gotten the flu full force. The flu does target certain ages of people. Babies aren't able to receive it so they are more prone to getting it quickly. Older people may have a higher chance from their decreasing immune system. The flu shot might not stop the flu entirely but it could reduce the symptoms greatly. 

• I agree, the person has to have a good immune system and good environment to be fully protected against the flu. But I think the flu shot is an important part of it as well. 

• Thats what I was thinking, everyone's body reacts different to it. I feel like if you have gotten the flu shot since you were young and it has seemed to help, then keep getting it. But if you have never gotten the shot and haven't got sick from the flu then I think you are fine for now.

• I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't gotten a flu shot in many years. In my opinion your more apt to get the flu at least once after the shot so you become immune. I agree that it could depend on the person. I have heard a lot of odd conspiracy theories about flu shots actually. I also agree that the flu doesn't affect middle aged people as much. The flu shot is actually a very controversial thing so this story is very interesting to me. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker