Tootsie Rolls, A Saving Grace

In 1950 during the Korean War ran into an interesting dilemma when the use of a codeword gets misinterpreted. While stationed in ChangJin Reservoir, the Marine troops found themselves severally outnumbered and undersupplied. When they were almost out of mortar shells they called for an airdrop using their codename for 60MM mortar ammo, Tootsie Rolls. When the delivery arrived the troops were surprised to see boxes of actual Tootsie Rolls. What was a terrible mistake, saved hundreds of lives.

The freezing temperatures cracked vehicle fuel lines and left the troops stranded with limited ammo and tons of Tootsie Rolls. A veteran said he survived for two weeks on Tootsie Rolls. Eventually they realized they could melt the chocolate with their hands to make a putty-like consistency. They used this to patch up bullet holes, seal the broken pipes, and fix up other equipment. Finally, the chocolate refroze and they were able to get to safety, all thanks to this blessing in disguise.

I think if I was expecting bullets and got candy, I would laugh then probably cry. I wonder what went through the head of the guy who had received the request for "Tootsie Rolls" and didn't think it was a code work and instead sent actual ones. If I had gotten a request from Marine Troops out fighting in a war for Tootsie Rolls, my mind wouldn't think to send them Tootsie Rolls, if I was confused I would have asked. I think I would get very sick if I had to survive on Tootsie Rolls for two weeks and would probably not eat any more for a really long time.

Sources:

https://americangimuseum.org/tootsie-rolls-saved-troops-at-the-battle-of-the-chosin-reservoir/

https://unbelievable-facts.com/2018/03/funny-stories-from-history.html

Questions:

What would have been your reaction if you received candy instead of bullets?

How do you think the mix-up happened with the code word?

Could you survive on Tootsie Rolls for two weeks?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My reaction to getting tootsie rolls instead of bullets would probably be to laugh, as it's funny that someone could have gotten it mixed up. I would also be concerned about it too. I don't know how a mix up like that could happen. I definetely could not survive for two weeks on only Tootsie rolls.

• My first reaction would not be to laugh but rather be mad or upset. I would probably only really find it funny after I got to safety. I'm also unsure how that mix up happened and it makes me question if it has happened in other cases.

• If I received candy instead of bullets I would be worried. I have no idea how the mix-up happened with the code word. I think I could survive on tootsie rolls for two week they would just get boring. 

• Its crazy how they mixed it up with the code word, but it seemed to all work out. I wonder if the guy to answered the radio was fired?? They would get really boring I probably wouldn't eat them again for a really long time afterwards.

• My reaction would have to been laugh and then get very concerned. I'd be thinking of how we could make it on with tootsie rolls instead of bullets. I could survive on toostie rolls for 2 weeks but I wouldn't like it becuase eating too much sweets hurts my stomach and I hate eating the same foods often.

• I know! They were very smart and determined to be able to use these Tootsie Rolls for their benefit. I don't think I would be able to figure that out. I would also start to feel sick after two weeks of eating Tootsie Rolls.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker