Tootsie Rolls, A Saving Grace

In 1950 during the Korean War ran into an interesting dilemma when the use of a codeword gets misinterpreted. While stationed in ChangJin Reservoir, the Marine troops found themselves severally outnumbered and undersupplied. When they were almost out of mortar shells they called for an airdrop using their codename for 60MM mortar ammo, Tootsie Rolls. When the delivery arrived the troops were surprised to see boxes of actual Tootsie Rolls. What was a terrible mistake, saved hundreds of lives.

The freezing temperatures cracked vehicle fuel lines and left the troops stranded with limited ammo and tons of Tootsie Rolls. A veteran said he survived for two weeks on Tootsie Rolls. Eventually they realized they could melt the chocolate with their hands to make a putty-like consistency. They used this to patch up bullet holes, seal the broken pipes, and fix up other equipment. Finally, the chocolate refroze and they were able to get to safety, all thanks to this blessing in disguise.

I think if I was expecting bullets and got candy, I would laugh then probably cry. I wonder what went through the head of the guy who had received the request for "Tootsie Rolls" and didn't think it was a code work and instead sent actual ones. If I had gotten a request from Marine Troops out fighting in a war for Tootsie Rolls, my mind wouldn't think to send them Tootsie Rolls, if I was confused I would have asked. I think I would get very sick if I had to survive on Tootsie Rolls for two weeks and would probably not eat any more for a really long time.

Sources:

https://americangimuseum.org/tootsie-rolls-saved-troops-at-the-battle-of-the-chosin-reservoir/

https://unbelievable-facts.com/2018/03/funny-stories-from-history.html

Questions:

What would have been your reaction if you received candy instead of bullets?

How do you think the mix-up happened with the code word?

Could you survive on Tootsie Rolls for two weeks?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would be super confused but also grateful that it couldn't hurt people and it ended up saving lives. I think that the person who got sent the message probably just didn't think about it too hard. I don't really like Tootsie Rolls but if I had to then I probably could.

• They were probably very grateful that it all worked out and saved tons of people's lives. The person who received the call for more ammo wasn't thinking clearly, did they just not question why soldiers would want a ton of candy when they are fighting in a war.

• I would be confused as to why they would hand me candy instead of bullets. After the crisis was over with and I felt calm, I think I would for sure laugh it off. I think that if I had to, I could survive off of tootsie rolls if absolutely necessary but I would not be able to eat them for a while. 

• I would also be very confused if I asked for bullets that I really need but got tootsie rolls instead. This is definitely a situation I would look back on and laugh about it. I also think I could survive two weeks on tootsie rolls if I really needed to.

• I would be really upset, I would probably have a mental breakdown. Once the crisis was averted, it would seem funny, and I would be able to laugh it off. I think that I could survive off of Tootsie Rolls but I wouldn't have them for a while after that.

• Honestly I probably would also have a mental breakdown too. I couldn't imagine just waiting for ammo they desperately needed and getting candy instead. I probably would also not eat them again for away away eating them for two weeks straight.

• I personally would probably be confused and then laugh because I would think it's funny. I think they got mixed up because it's the code word for 60MM mortar ammo but its also a name for candy. I could not survive on Tootsie Rolls for two weeks maybe for like 3 days but that's all.

• I would also be very confused at seeing Tootsie Rolls instead of ammo. I would probably find it pretty funny once I wasn't in danger. I think I could survive for two weeks but I wouldn't feel well at all afterwards.

• With the candy Tootsie rolls I do not think that I could go with these onto just two weeks to survive and i would have to go and get another candy that I do like way better than this one.

• It would definitely be terrible to eat candy for two weeks straight no matter what type. It would be especially hard if you don't like that type of candy. For me I wouldn't have a problem with that because I like them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker