The Origin of Football

The first college football game was played on november 6,1969.

But it wasnt until 1880 a rugby player made rules that would slowley change it into the game of american football. By the 1880s most athletic clubs had a football team. The first pro player was 16 year old john braillier he was paid $10 to play for the Latrobe,PA, town team they played against jeannette on september 3,1985.

https://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/birth-of-pro-football/#:~:text=The%20sport%20of%20American%20football,the%20first%20college%20football%20game.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Last semester we learned about this in Mr. Bruns class and it wasn't kinda crazy to think that a football was that old. I mean competed to other sports it isn't as old, but for us it is. It is kinda crazy to think that a 16 year old was the first football profesional player.

• I think it's very cool how far college football has come and think that it's crazy how a 16 year old was the very first pro player. Being paid $10 to play for a team wouldn't even be feasible in today's world and I find it crazy how much college football players get paid today. 

• It is weird to think that one of the biggest sports in America traces its roots back to rugby. I think that it is surprising that the first professional football player was a sixteen-year-old kid from 1885. I did not know that football as a sport was this old. 

• I think that it is weird that a 16 year old could be playing in an NFL game. It is also crazy to think how he only got paid 10 dollars. It is so crazy how far NFL has become over all those years and how popular it is today. I think that it is very intertaining and glad that it became a sport.

• I think its crazy that people could get into big leagues at such a young age back then. As well as the pay. It is very interesting that the kid playing was in school which is honestly so impressive considering that he was playing professional football. And im sure the pay was a big deal back then despite it being almost nothing now. 

• Wow, it's very interesting that the first professional football player was only 16 years old and that he was only paid a low ten dollars for his first game. John Brallier played his first pro football game on September 3rd, 1985, which is nearly 36 years ago, and in my personal opinion that's not that long ago.

• I think that it is crazy how far football as we know it now has come. I think it is also really cool how the first pro player was only 16 years old! That makes me wonder if that kid was in school while doing this, because that would be even crazier. Also, we may think that $10 is nothing, but to them I'm sure that that was amazing that they were getting paid that just to play football.

• I think that the fact you could play when you were 16 was pretty cool and that would also be really fun. And also the fact that being paid 10 dollar was considered alot back then blows my mind because today you could get 2 sodas and a candy bar with that and back then you could get a bunch of stuff.

• It is cool that you can be 16 and play football professionally even though at that time a lot of them were probably amatuers. I'm pretty sure that the first game was a lot earlier than 1985 though because the first super bowl was before that.

• Fine topic choice but your summary is brief. You also didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points. 50% off one week late.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker