The history of Track and Field.

Track and field began in the Olympics in Ancient Greece in 776 B.C. The track started blooming in the 1860s. Track and field was created because of religious events and celebrations for the Greek gods so men could show off their athletic abilities. The modern Olympic Games played a significant role in the popularizing of track and field worldwide. The first things created were sprinting races, long jump, and throwing events. There are many more events today that you can participate in. 

Nowadays, Track is a very competitive and popular sport that shows amazing athleticism. The track events now are sprints, hurdles, long jump, high jump, pole vault, shot put, discus, and many more. In high school, track is a very good experience, it shows the school your athletic abilities and you get to compete with different schools and people. Track is a very mental sport, you have to be willing to work as hard as you can and to allow yourself to push through very tough races and events. 

I am currently in track and I enjoy it. Although track can be draining at times, I think it is all worth it in the end. I run 400’s, 400 hurdles, and occasionally shuttle hurdles and 100 hurdles. At times these events can be tiring and can get me in the wrong mindset. Ever since I've been participating in track, I've learned that not every race is going to go how you picture it and you will have bad meets which you will have to accept and push yourself to be better next time. 

Sources: 

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Questions:

Do you do track? 

What's your favorite race/event to watch or do? 

Would you ever consider going out for track? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I am not in track but I do think it's an entertaining sport. I don't think i'd personally be good or do it, but its fun to watch. 

• I am not in track but I was in track in 7th and 8th grade. I liked doing the 800m the most because it is not too long and it isn't a sprint. The only bad thing about track was that it made me really nervous, especially when I was the first runner in a 4x800.

• I do not do track. I do have favorite races. In my opinion I like longer races that arnt around the track. Watching people run in a cricle is not very interesting in my opinion, but that might just be me. I had considered going out for track but I was doing too many things at the time. 

• I see what you are saying. 

• I did track my 7th and 8th grade year. I was good at shotput I got first or second every time I almost beat the school record I was only a couple of feet off. I didn't go out last year because I broke my left clavicle(left collarbone). I didn't go out this year because I was tired of always being busy.

• I do not do track, but I do enjoy going to meets and watching people run and I don't think I've ever considered going out for track simply because I do not believe I'm not athletc enough and enjoy track enough as most people who are in it to join.

• The meets are enjoyable! Track just is not for everyone. 

• I did run track throughout middle school and freshman year of high school. I loved to watch people run hurdles, but I never ran them. I liked to run the 100, 200, and the 400. I am not going to go back out for track because I joined a different sport.

• I love watching hurdles and running hurdles! 

• I did track in middle school and freshman year. I am not a huge fan of track. My favorite races that I ran were 100s and 200s. I enjoy running short races where I can sprint and then be done right away.  Running isn't my favorite thing but I enjoyed being able to spend afternoons with my friends while staying active.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker