The history of Track and Field.

Track and field began in the Olympics in Ancient Greece in 776 B.C. The track started blooming in the 1860s. Track and field was created because of religious events and celebrations for the Greek gods so men could show off their athletic abilities. The modern Olympic Games played a significant role in the popularizing of track and field worldwide. The first things created were sprinting races, long jump, and throwing events. There are many more events today that you can participate in. 

Nowadays, Track is a very competitive and popular sport that shows amazing athleticism. The track events now are sprints, hurdles, long jump, high jump, pole vault, shot put, discus, and many more. In high school, track is a very good experience, it shows the school your athletic abilities and you get to compete with different schools and people. Track is a very mental sport, you have to be willing to work as hard as you can and to allow yourself to push through very tough races and events. 

I am currently in track and I enjoy it. Although track can be draining at times, I think it is all worth it in the end. I run 400’s, 400 hurdles, and occasionally shuttle hurdles and 100 hurdles. At times these events can be tiring and can get me in the wrong mindset. Ever since I've been participating in track, I've learned that not every race is going to go how you picture it and you will have bad meets which you will have to accept and push yourself to be better next time. 

Sources: 

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Questions:

Do you do track? 

What's your favorite race/event to watch or do? 

Would you ever consider going out for track? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have always wanted to try and do track for an invent afte school is done but my mom did decied that I shouldnt do track at all it is becuase that then I wouldn,t be able to go and catch up with anybody else,

• It is not always about being able to be like everyone else. You could do throwing or long jump that doesn't require a lot of running for running at all! 

• I do not do track anymore. I think my favorite event to watch is hurdles because I like to see how fast people can run while still being able to jump. I would not go out for track again. 

• I dont do track but if I had to watch it I would watch the 100 meters because I like seeing how fast the other people are. When I did run track I was in hurdles and high jump. I don't think I would go out for track again because I am in golf.

• I think the 100-meter dash is a cool race to watch too! 

• I don't do track no, I did both years in middle school though. I really didn't enjoy the stressful feeling before events/races. I mostly ran 200s and 400s, I think I tried long jump once. I don't think I'd ever go out for track again, it's too stressful for me.

• I agree with the feeling before the races. It can be very nerve-racking and stressful before your event/race. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker