The History of the NFL

The NFL was founded in 1920 in Canton, Ohio. When it was founded it was known as the APFA (American Professional Football Association). The first president was Jim Thorpe who was a really good athlete and was in the league. They switched the name to NFL(National Football League) in 1922.

The league started playing with five teams from Ohio which were the Akron Pros, Canton Bulldogs, Cleveland Tigers, Columbus Panhandlers, and Dayton Triangles, four teams from Illinois were the Chicago Tigers, Decatur Stayleys, Racine Cardinals, and Rock Island Independents, two teams from Indiana are Hammond Pros and Muncie Flyers, two teams from New York Buffalo All-Americans and the Rochester Jeffersons and the one Michigan team the Detroit Herolds. Later on, the AFL was a challenge so they ended up merging with the NFL. Once the merger happened in 1970 there were 26 teams in the NFL. Since the merger happened there have been six teams added to the NFL. 

When the NFL was made the equipment was not the greatest but since then there have been major upgrades. Another thing that is different from back then is what they are calling flags for which I guess is opinion based. People thing that the NFL has a fun problem because of all of the taunting flags that are being thrown and that some players will get fined for stuff like that. Even though their have been changes for good and changes that some people don't like the NFL is still a very popular sport in America.

What is your favorite NFL team? 

What do you think of the equipment from back then to now?

Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/National-Football-League

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My favorite team in the NFL is the Green Bay Packers. I think that the equipment from then to now has improved a lot. I do still think that there is room for improvement in the future. I think that the Ravens are going to win the super bowl. 

• My favorite team is the Los Angeles Chargers. I think that the equipment is way better now than it was back then. I still think there is room for improvment on our equipment but overall it's pretty safe. I think that the 49ers will win the super bowl this year.

• I agree with you that equipment is going to continue to make improvements and the players will be at lest risk and the 49ers have the highest odds to win it.

• The Kansas City Chiefs are my favorite team, I think that the equipment has significantly increased and is way safer than back then. I do still think that our equipment could be more protective but like I said it is much better, I think with the ravens or the 49ers will win the super bowl.

• My favorite NFL team is the Colts because that is what my dad has always liked. I think that the equipment back then was not very safe at all and I don't think anyone nowadays should use that equipment. I think that the Ravens will win the Super Bowl this year. 

• My favorite football team is the Ravens, and I think that the equipment is a lot better from when it started, and i think its going to get way better too because of all the tech that is being made. The team i think is going to win is the Ravens.

• My favorite NFL team is the Vikings because I looked up to Adrian Peterson when I was little. I think the equipment now is a lot safer especially because the old helmets were very unsafe. I think the Ravens are winning the super bowl.

• Yeah Adrian Peterson had a huge impact for running backs he was just a stud and thank goodness they had improved technology because he ran hard.

• My favorite team is the Chiefs. I think that the equipment from back then was not very safe and has upgraded very significintly and is now way safer. Although the equipment now is not completly injury proof it is still way safer then back then. I think the Chiefs will win the super bowl.

• I like the Cheifs. The equipment has definitely became more safe over the years. I'm not sure who will win the superbowl.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker