The history of the Civil War

The Civil War was a major event in American history. It took place from 1861 to 1865 and was fought between the northern states, known as the Union, and the southern states, known as the Confederacy. The war was primarily fought over the issue of slavery and the rights of states to secede from the Union. It was a very highly focused and tragic time in our nation's history. Which led to things that happened that we all wish could have happened without war.

The Civil War started with the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter in South Carolina. The Union fought to preserve the United States as a whole, while the Confederacy fought for their independence. They wanted to keep the slaves and the North did not because they thought it was wrong. The war had a profound impact on the nation, resulting in the abolition of slavery and the reunification of the states.

Some of the greatest figures from the Civil War include President Abraham Lincoln, who led the Union, and General Robert E. Lee, who led the Confederate Army. The war was marked by major battles such as Gettysburg and Antietam, as well as the devastating Sherman's March to the Sea.

The Civil War had a lasting impact on the United States, shaping the nation's history and identity. It led to significant changes in the country, including the end of slavery and the beginning of the Reconstruction era. It's a fascinating period to study and learn about! And in the end, everything ended up in a well-put-together country that is now one of the best countries in the world. 

Sites 

https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/american-civil-war-history   

https://www.nps.gov/gett/learn/historyculture/civil-war-timeline.htm                         

Questions 

1. do think a war was necessary to end slavery

2. why do you think the south did not want to get rid of slavery and why the North wanted it gone

3. If there was not a war do you think slavery would still be around today

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do think it was necessary or else I don't know how soon slavery would have ended. The North thought it was wrong so they wanted it gone. I don't think it would be around today but I think it would've took some time for it to be gone.

• I agree, slavery could've gone on for longer if the war never happened.

• I think that the war was needed to end slavery because otherwise not side was going to give up and slavery would have stayed.  The south had a lot more plantations and they liked how cheap it was to have slaves and the slaves made a lot of money for the powerful people in the south.

• I do think it was necessary to know they probably could have figured it out a different way but they weren't able to. The South had more farms and the slaves did their farm work for them. I don;t think slavery would still be around but I think it would of been around longer.

• I agree, they could've figured it out a different way.

• I think the war was necessary to end slavery because the South wasn't going to listen to the North. I think the country would have been split apart and half of the country would have been pro-slavery and then the other half wouldn't have been pro-slavery.

• Yes, I do believe that it was necessary to end slavery because it wouldn't of stopped if they didn't fight for it. The North had a better leader and they weren't really under the influence of having other people doing their things while the South liked having people working for free to do it. If there wasn't a war the world would be different because more than likely there would still be slaves.

• I agree, if they hadn't fought for it, slavery could've gotten worse.

• Yes, I think the Civil War was necessary to put an end to slavery. Slavery was a huge problem for the developing country and needed to be addressed. I think the South had different perspectives and thoughts about slavery than compared to the North. If the Civil War hadn't happened, slavery would have eventually ended over time.

• I agree, slavery needed to be addressed and the problem was getting bigger.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker