The History of Snowboarding

The History of Snowboarding

As we know, skiing and snowboarding are very popular in areas that have mountains and receive good amounts of snow. However, snowboarding has a very interesting background and it’s very cool to see the improvement in the history of snowboarding. The idea of snowboarding came from a surfer and started out different from what  snowboards are today.

The first snowboard came from a surfer named Sherman Poppen. In the 1960’s, he made a board called the snurfer. This board was made of wood and it had a rope on the nose of the board in which you would pull and hold on to. As it became more popular, it was tough because ski resorts wouldn’t allow these new boards on their mountains. People had to wait till mountains closed and then hike up them to snowboard.

Then eventually in the late 70’s, a 23 year old student named Jake Burton had the idea to add footstraps to the board which changed the experience of snowboarding. In the late 80’s and early 90’s, snowboarding started to become a sport competition and the snurfer board declined. At this time, people had invented the first ever high-back bindings. This made snowboarders feel much more stable and comfortable on their board. 

In the mid 1990’s, snowboarding became the fastest growing winter sport on the planet. Ski resorts flourished and snowboarders were allowed on mountains. These days, around 7.56 million people snowboard. Now there are different shapes of snowboards, there are step on bindings, and the technology continues to improve.

Have you ever gone snowboarding/skiing?

What do you think about snowboarding?

In the 70’s, would it be worth it to hike part of the mountain and board down?

https://www.freethepowder.com/pages/history-of-snowboarding 

https://www.statista.com/topics/1770/winter-sports/#topicOverview 

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/history-of-snowboarding

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have never practiced snowboarding, but it seems like a too extreme activity or some people take it to extremes. I really consider that this is for agile and brave people, but I could try it sometime.

• I've been snowboarding once when my family went on vacation to Colorado. I wasn't very good at it but I thought it would be very fun if I was. I like watching the Winter Olympics when the snowboarders do tricks on the banks. In the 70s I think it would be fun to hike up a mountain and then snowboard down with friends.

• I have gone snowboarding it's really fun but it's a skill because you have to focus on your balance. When I tryed snowboarding for the first time I thought I would not enjoy it but now I love it.

• Even though I have never gone snowboarding or skiing ever in my life, I do think that it is very fun and interesting to do. If I can I would like to try to go snowboarding sometime in the future. In the 70s, I think it would be worth hiking up a part of a mountain to board back down it.

• Yes I snowboard before when I was a kid. I loved snowboarding it's pretty fun. No because in the 70's the people couldn't snowboard and don't have the right equiptment.

• Yes, I have been snowboarding in colorado but that was a long time ago. Snowboarding is fun but costs a lot of money to do each year. I think in the 70s it would be worth it to hike a mountain to board down Back in the 70's they didn't have entertainment like we do.

• I have been both skiing and snowboarding and I personally like snowboarding more than skiing. I think that snowboarding is a very fun and interesting sport. I do not think it would be worth hiking up a moutain because you would spend a lot more time hiking compared to boarding down. 

• I have been snowboarding a little bit but not very much. I don't ever really think about snowboarding just because we don't ever go on any vacations where there are slopes that are meant for snowboarding. In the 70s I don't think it would be worth snowboarding down for a minute and then having to walk back up the steep hill over and over again. 

• Ive never went before, but i would definitly go, I like to skateboard, so i think snowboarding would fun. In the 70's i would do anything, the 70's is a time that i would love to go back too, so i would love to hike the mountain.

• I have never been snowboarding or skiing. I think it would be really fun to try it out sometime but I have never really thought about going snowboarding because nobody in my family has ever gone snowboarding. I do not think it would be worth it because you would get winded working up the mountain. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker