The History of Screen time in the U.S.

Since 2013, the average daily screen time for an American has increased by 50 minutes. There are so many screens all around us that are necessary for us, that we see, use, and access every day. So, while some look at screen time as harmful for mental health, societal interaction, insomnia, etc., there are many ways that devices are a necessity for schools, workplaces, sporting events, entertainment, and much more. 

For starters, one specific example in the United States is that the average screen time per day is 7 hours and 4 minutes. Which is 7 minutes more compared to the global average. People shouldn’t just look at these numbers and statistics as terrible and unacceptable. There are so many examples of how screens have advanced our way of living for businesses, communication, and education! Age also plays a very significant role in screen time amounts and usage, teens spend over 3 hours a day watching TV/videos. Something that is also very noteable, is how income plays a big role in screen time. Demographics show that teenagers in lower-income houses spend 9 hours and 19 minutes on screens everyday. Whereas on the other hand, teens in higher income households spend around 7 hours and 16 minutes of screen time daily.

Overall, screen time has benefited lives and harmed lives. But which one means more? Which one should be focused on? Some may lean towards advancing technology for efficiency, accuracy, and skillfulness. While some focus on how it affects a person's well being considering health, safety, and human-only experiences! I personally think that advancing technology, leading to higher screen time, is beneficial and necessary but nothing can beat the face to face interactions with the people behind the screen!

How much is your daily screen time?

Is it important to advance technology?

Is it important to prioritize human interaction?

Based off the past two questions; Which do you think is more important?

https://explodingtopics.com/blog/screen-time-stats 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-technology-affects-communication

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10353947/#:~:text=Research

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I totally get what you're saying. Both are important but technology is very easily overused.

• My daily screen time is 3 hours on average. I think that it is important to advance technology. I think that it is also important to have human interactions to help get to know other people. I think that human interactions are better because you can learn more from a person when you are face-to-face with them. 

• Yes I agree, nothing can beat the face to face interactions that you can't have online or with technology.

• My daily screen time is like a couple hours. I think it is important to advance technology because we have grown a lot as a country in that way. I also think it can be very bad because there's a lot of bad stuff on the internet that people can easily see and I don't think that's healthy. 

• Yes, this is completely true. There are so many pros and cons that really impact the whole world.

• I would say my average screen time is around 4 hours but could be more or less depending on how busy my day is or how much homework I have. I think it is important to advance technology, while still maintaining a good amount of human interaction.

• Yes that is understandable, it always depends on what day it is. A good balance is what we should go for.

• My screen time is probably more than it should be but I think that school helps me lower it. I think that in certain situations it is very important to advance in technology. We all need to get better at interacting with people more often rather than only communicating over technology

• I completely agree, mine is definitely higher than it should be but I feel like I can't help it.

• I would say my daily screen time is about four hours. I think it is important to advance technology so we can stay ahead of other countries and it is very important to prioritize human interaction. I think it is more important to prioritize human interaction because humans need in-person social contact. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker