The History of Math

How did math come about? Math has been an essential part of human advancement for thousands of years. It all began with ancient people, like the Egyptians and Babylonians, who used math for necessities such as measuring land and keeping track of time, around 3000 BC. These early mathematical systems set the basis for the future and it only advances from there. As time went on, the Greeks took math even further. Brilliant mathematicians explored geometry and number theory, setting the basic concepts that we still use today. Specifically looking in on the Babylonians, they developed a system based off the number 60. They are the first ones that are known for using numbers to represent an amount.

Moving forward in time, math became more similarly compared and used with science. Mathmeticians such as Newton and others helped us further understand our world today by continuing and advancing in the research of math. They discovered the path to furthering scientific discoveries as well as leading the mathematics of our modern world into a clear path. From there, math continued to evolve and expand, with new concepts and theories being developed. Today, math plays a very important part in certain work fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It's a constantly evolving subject that continues to shape our world in ways that would not have been possible without the prior exploration.

Math is probably one of my favorite subjects just because I enjoy the puzzling, multi-step problems that make me feel very accomplished after figuring them out. For me personally, I enjoy having to figure out the formulas and steps needed to solve each problem. However, I know math is not for everyone.

Do you enjoy math?

If so, what do you like about it?

If not, what is your favorite subject?

Are you interested in a job that deals with math often?

Sources:

https://mathshistory.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistTopics/History_overview/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mathematics

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It depends on the topic if math is an enjoyable class for me. For example, when I'm struggling in math I don't enjoy going to that class, but if I understand the concepts and get my work done then it's not so bad. I am not that interested in taking on a job in the future that uses math. 

• Very good point. I think for me as well, if depends on what eyar of math I am in. Depending on if someone is in a algebra class, or a geometry class, the like for the subject may change.

• I enjoy math when I understand the concepts. I like how math has processes to finding a solution. I also like how math always has a right or a wrong answer, unlike science or english. I think math is involved in the majority of modern day careers, so I think understanding the basic concepts are important. 

• I completely agree. When understanding the concepts, it is so much more enjoyable. Understanding basic concepts is very important.

• I enjoy math when I understand it. Right now I am in geometry and it's not awful but it can definitely get hard at times. I am not really interested in a job that deals with math often just because it is not something I would be willing to do every day. 

• That's a great way of saying it. I don't think I'd love math very much if I didn't know what I was doing. It definitely is tougher for some.

• I do enjoy doing math, I like being able to solve equations and there being a set answer. I would say that it is probably my favorite subject. I would be interested in a job that deals with math often. I think that no matter what job you choose you will have to do math often.

• That makes a lot of sense. I can see how you would think any job deals with math, but I really think it depends.

• I do enjoy math a little, mostly because I am pretty good at it and can pick it up pretty quickly. If I had to pick what my favorite subject was, it would probably be math, just because I don't like any other ones. I would be interested in a job that deals with math.

• That is very understandable, I completely agree. It's not that I love math, it's just the best out of all of them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker