The history of March Madness

The first ever men's March Madness tournament was in 1939. The March Madness tournament was actually overshadowed by another tournament that was more prestigious at the time. The NIT or also known as the National invitation tournament featured the best teams. As time went on March Madness began to grow and more of the top teams started to participate. By 1967 the March Madness tournament became the more established tournament as UCLA had won 7 consecutive titles in it. In 1939 the tournament started with only 8 teams, by 1985 it was a total of 64 teams. In 2001 the first ever “Play-in-Game” was added and by 2011 the NCAA had added 3 more “Play-in-games” since then there has been a total of 68 teams with a total of 8 teams having to play in a “Play-in-game” it has now been 85 years since the first March Madness tournament and is now one of the biggest tournaments in college if not in the nation. 

The first ever women’s March Madness tournament was held in 1982 and had a total of 32 teams. It had expanded to 64 in 1994 and then was later expanded to 68 in 2022. In the Women's first ever March Madness tournament Louisian tech played against Cheyney state, Louisian tech won and was crowned as the first ever women’s March Madness Tournament victor. 

As the years have gone on March Madness has become more and more popular, there are now challenges for people to create their own perfect bracket prediction. Many companies have used this as a way to promote their product such as Nissan who has a March Madness bracket and if you win, you can win a brand new Nissan car. 

Do you watch March Madness?

Do you have a favorite team in this year's March Madness?

Have you participated in making March Madness Brackets?

Sources

Sources

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, I am also following the Iowa girls and hope they do really good, I also agree none of my brackets are very good.

• I watch March Madness every once in a while. I don't go out of my way to fill out the brackets or watch The games but if I see them on in a class room or on tv I watch a little bit of it. I have participated in making the brackets before but I don't anymore.

• I also watch march madness everyonce in a while but latley i have been trying to watch more games 

• No I have not watched March Madness and currently do not plan to, since sports are not really my thing. I personally do not know anything about the teams, or the brackets or anything so I don't know. 

• I do not personally watch these games usually but this year I have seen the games more often. The games have been put on in some classrooms and that is where I watch them. I have not participated because I don't watch all the teams and my favorite team is Iowa State.

• No, I've never watched March Madness, I don't know a lot about this, so I don't have any favorite team. Maybe later I will know a little more about the subject and equipment. I have never participated in making March Madness brackets.

• I do not watch march madness or have a bracket. My favorite team this year would be iowa state though. I have no participated in making a bracket and I probably never will. 

• I have never even watched March madness  or even really heard about it Also i have really nothing or did anything with it over any time of the years I just do other sutff then starting to watch that.

• I have watched March Madness for most of my life. My favorite team in this year's tournament is Iowa State. I have made a lot of brackets over the years but have taken it more seriously in recent years.   

• I agree i also watch alot of march madness and i also agree that iowa state is the best team, I also have been making alot of brackets.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker