The history of March Madness

The first ever men's March Madness tournament was in 1939. The March Madness tournament was actually overshadowed by another tournament that was more prestigious at the time. The NIT or also known as the National invitation tournament featured the best teams. As time went on March Madness began to grow and more of the top teams started to participate. By 1967 the March Madness tournament became the more established tournament as UCLA had won 7 consecutive titles in it. In 1939 the tournament started with only 8 teams, by 1985 it was a total of 64 teams. In 2001 the first ever “Play-in-Game” was added and by 2011 the NCAA had added 3 more “Play-in-games” since then there has been a total of 68 teams with a total of 8 teams having to play in a “Play-in-game” it has now been 85 years since the first March Madness tournament and is now one of the biggest tournaments in college if not in the nation. 

The first ever women’s March Madness tournament was held in 1982 and had a total of 32 teams. It had expanded to 64 in 1994 and then was later expanded to 68 in 2022. In the Women's first ever March Madness tournament Louisian tech played against Cheyney state, Louisian tech won and was crowned as the first ever women’s March Madness Tournament victor. 

As the years have gone on March Madness has become more and more popular, there are now challenges for people to create their own perfect bracket prediction. Many companies have used this as a way to promote their product such as Nissan who has a March Madness bracket and if you win, you can win a brand new Nissan car. 

Do you watch March Madness?

Do you have a favorite team in this year's March Madness?

Have you participated in making March Madness Brackets?

Sources

Sources

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Its my first year of watching the tournament, My favorite team is the spokan Gonzaga, i did not make a bracket becuase of having to get an app and seeing that some poeple are giving away money if they get the bracket right, 

• I do watch march madness, but I do not care who wins. I only want Iowa State to win the whole thing and Iowa to lose. No, I don't make the Marchmadness bracket because it is tough to win it and I don't understand what team to put down. 

• I do watch March Madness, but I don't watch college basketball much unless it is March Madness. My favorite team for this year would probably be GCU, that is were my sister goes to school and where I would like to go to school. I have never participated in making a March Madness bracket.

• I agree i don't watch alot of college basketball unless it is Iowa and Iowa State, or if it is march madness then i will watch alot of it. 

• I never watched March Madness. I don't have a favorite team in the March Madness games. I never participated in any March Madness and I don't really want to.

• I have never really watched march madness. I don't have a favorite team in this years march madness. I have never participated in making March Madness Brackets. I remember when everyone was making them and I was so confused because I have never really heard of march madness until recently.

• I love march maddness it is fun filling out the brackets even if you have no idea how good the teams are. I like to watch Texas Tech Iowa state and Purde. I also like when higher seads beat lower seads. I fill out a bracket each year!

• I agree i think it is fun filling out brackets, even if you don't know anything about the teams that are playing. I also agree that i like when higher seeds win but i also like when lower seeds win.

• My family and I love watching March Madness! We are big Iowa State and Creighton fans, so we hope they will do well. I didn't make a bracket for the tournament games this year, but it seems like a lot of brackets were spoiled after the first round this year. 

• I Agree, I also love watching march madness, I am a fan of creighton and do like watching them and i also hope that Iowa State and Creighton do well even though i like Iowa. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker