The history of March Madness

The first ever men's March Madness tournament was in 1939. The March Madness tournament was actually overshadowed by another tournament that was more prestigious at the time. The NIT or also known as the National invitation tournament featured the best teams. As time went on March Madness began to grow and more of the top teams started to participate. By 1967 the March Madness tournament became the more established tournament as UCLA had won 7 consecutive titles in it. In 1939 the tournament started with only 8 teams, by 1985 it was a total of 64 teams. In 2001 the first ever “Play-in-Game” was added and by 2011 the NCAA had added 3 more “Play-in-games” since then there has been a total of 68 teams with a total of 8 teams having to play in a “Play-in-game” it has now been 85 years since the first March Madness tournament and is now one of the biggest tournaments in college if not in the nation. 

The first ever women’s March Madness tournament was held in 1982 and had a total of 32 teams. It had expanded to 64 in 1994 and then was later expanded to 68 in 2022. In the Women's first ever March Madness tournament Louisian tech played against Cheyney state, Louisian tech won and was crowned as the first ever women’s March Madness Tournament victor. 

As the years have gone on March Madness has become more and more popular, there are now challenges for people to create their own perfect bracket prediction. Many companies have used this as a way to promote their product such as Nissan who has a March Madness bracket and if you win, you can win a brand new Nissan car. 

Do you watch March Madness?

Do you have a favorite team in this year's March Madness?

Have you participated in making March Madness Brackets?

Sources

Sources

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not watch march madness. I have never really had an interest in watching basketball. For that reason I do not have a favorite team for this years march madness tournement. I have never taken part in making a bracket for march madness because I do not follow basketball enough. 

• I don't really watch March Madness but I would watch it with my friends or family but I couldn't watch it by myself since I don't really watch basketball in general. My favorite team would be Iowa since I like Iowa. I have not participated in making a March Madness Bracket since I don't know much about what teams are good and what teams are bad.

• I usualy just watch March Madness games when my family does unless it's a team I like. I filled out a bracket in a group with my family. My favorite team to watch is the Iowa women's even though I don't have them winning.

• I agree i also like to watch the iowa womens as they are very exciting because of caitlin clark 

• I watch some March Madness. I watch the games that I am unsure about on my bracket. I do not have a favorite team, but for my bracket I have UConn winning. I have particpated every year I could. Right now my bracket is mid.

• I agree, when im not sure who is going to win i normally watch the games aswell

• I don't watch March Madness unless it's playing in the background somewhere. I think my favorite team in this year's March Madness would be Iowa. They have been playing pretty well this year. I haven't participated in filling out a March Madness bracket. 

• I do watch some March Madness games, I dont have a favorite team since I dont watch basketball regularly. I have participated in the past making March Madness Brackets. But, this year I didnt make any, but I think it would have been fun.

• I have not really watched it so I don't really have a favorite team. I have not participated in March Madness brackets

• I do watch the march madness every year. This year i am really trying to follow along with Iowa gilrls, Caitlyn Clark is really fun to wacth because she is good and makes alot of threes. I have participated in making a march madness bracket, it was not a very good bracket but i tried. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker