The history of makeup

Makeup has been around since 400 BCE (Before Common Era) it started with the Egyptians doing eyeliner to white powders to lighten skin tone and green eye color to represent different gods. Romans used different cosmetics during the 1st century. Kohl was used for multiple reasons like, darkening eyelashes, and eyelids. Women used lead and chalk on their faces. Persian women used henna to stain their hands and hair. They believed that this would summon different types of gods. During the Middle Ages, light skin was a sign of wealth. In the Thirteenth century, women bought pink lipstick to prove they could afford synthetic makeup. 

As you can see makeup has advanced throughout the centuries. Through different centuries different types of makeup was more popular. Different cultures also have had different types of makeup used. In the 20th century, women started to apply makeup to take pictures. Mirrors became for affordable at this time. The makeup ingredients changed too. While some cultures used natural ingredients those can be harmful. But once makeup companies started making their products out of different moisturizing products, water, oil, wax mixed with a filler like talc. There are also different types of pigments that make it so foundation covers your skin. 

Do you think that makeup will change a lot more over the years? 

Do you think makeup has become too much over the years? 

https://people.howstuffworks.com/about-makeup5.htm 

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-did-we-start-wearing-makeup#:~:text=We%20get%20our%20first%20glimpse,as%20early%20as%204000%20BCE.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think makeup has come a long way from how it used to be, and it will continue to improve as time goes on. I don't think it has become too much, although there are trends of makeup that can use a lot of it. There are many improvements that will come in the future.

• I think that it could change over the years because of all the technology that people are coming up with. I just think that in like 20 years nobody will need makeup. I think that it has because some girls just cover their selfs in it and look totaly diffrent from how they look without it.

• I think makeup won't be relevant in the future because technology will take over our lifes. Also I think that makeup is only good for like movies and stuff like that, but women don't need makeup to look good, I guess. I do think that makeup has change over the years but not much though.

• As we continue to go on through with the future than I would think makeup will change a lot as we get into the future. I don't think it is too much over the years they are just different than what it used to be.

• I think maeup will continue to change. Whether it's the way it's made that's changing or the way that it's worn, I think we will continue to see changes in makeup as time goes on. I think makeup has gone through phases of being 'too much' and phases of being 'natural'.

• Yes I do think makeup will change a lot over the years. I do think so but eveybody wears it and its not really a problem to people unless its like dramatic, but otherwise it has changed over the years. 

• I think that makeup has changed a lot over the years but in a good way. People seem to be using it in a better manner and learning how to apply it to where it is not too much. "Skin care" has become popular these last few years so I think that people are putting better ingredients into their makeup and skin care products which leads me to think it will probably get better. 

• Makeup has already changed a lot througout our current years so I bet it'll change more as time goes on and makeup is not too much a lot of the time its just when its over applied and used.

• I think that makup has changed significantly over the years from staring as a simple white powder and changing into a specific blend of powders and formulas. I think makeup has become a more common thing over the years. I think its getting to a comfortable point. 

• I do think makeup might change in how it is like packaged or how you are able to put it on so it is not as difficult for some people to put it on. Like some people trying to put makeup on in the car might struggle so they could come out with something to do about that. I think that makeup really hasn't become too much over the years since people like to use it to make themselves look good and feel better about themselves.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker