The history of makeup

Makeup has been around since 400 BCE (Before Common Era) it started with the Egyptians doing eyeliner to white powders to lighten skin tone and green eye color to represent different gods. Romans used different cosmetics during the 1st century. Kohl was used for multiple reasons like, darkening eyelashes, and eyelids. Women used lead and chalk on their faces. Persian women used henna to stain their hands and hair. They believed that this would summon different types of gods. During the Middle Ages, light skin was a sign of wealth. In the Thirteenth century, women bought pink lipstick to prove they could afford synthetic makeup. 

As you can see makeup has advanced throughout the centuries. Through different centuries different types of makeup was more popular. Different cultures also have had different types of makeup used. In the 20th century, women started to apply makeup to take pictures. Mirrors became for affordable at this time. The makeup ingredients changed too. While some cultures used natural ingredients those can be harmful. But once makeup companies started making their products out of different moisturizing products, water, oil, wax mixed with a filler like talc. There are also different types of pigments that make it so foundation covers your skin. 

Do you think that makeup will change a lot more over the years? 

Do you think makeup has become too much over the years? 

https://people.howstuffworks.com/about-makeup5.htm 

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-did-we-start-wearing-makeup#:~:text=We%20get%20our%20first%20glimpse,as%20early%20as%204000%20BCE.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think make-up is good to an extent but there are times when the makes you think looks so good and works good is bad. I also think that there are so many products that are overpriced and they have no need for this. I do think that it will have a dramatic change in the future.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker