The History of Disney World

Walt Disney World opened to the public on October 1, 1971, and has been wildly popular ever since. Disney World is a resort that people travel across the world to visit. This park currently contains multiple different theme parks, water parks, and many hotel resorts. Even to this day, the park continues to add new features that are bigger and better than the last. Disney World attracts over 50 million visitors per year and is labeled the most visited vacation destination in the world. This resort is located in Orlando, Florida and is about 43 square miles.

Many people have heard about Disney World, but don’t know the history of it. It all started because of Disneyland. Walt Disney came up with the idea of Disneyland after visiting another amusement park in Los Angeles. He wanted a place that children and their parents could go and enjoy their time together. Disneyland opened on July 5,1955. After seeing the success that Disneyland had, Walt Disney wanted to expand beyond that. They started the construction of this new theme park on May 30,1967. Unfortunately, Walt Disney became ill and died from lung cancer in 1966, so he wasn’t able to see any of the construction for this park.

Disney World started with just one theme park, Magic Kingdom. This quickly led to the company wanting to expand the park further. The next theme park was called the EPCOT Center, and was opened in 1982. This part of the resort featured several of Walt’s ideas that he wasn’t able to introduce when he was alive. Later that decade, in 1989, the third theme park was opened as Hollywood Studios. This park was inspired by show business, like television and music. Currently, the most recent addition to the parks is the fourth theme park, being Animal Kingdom, which opened in 1998. There are many other additions to the park, but these have been the main 4 so far. 

Personally, I’ve never been to Disney World or Disneyland, but I would like to visit someday. The history of these resorts is very interesting and isn’t one that most people would think is as deep as it is. Although Walt Disney wasn’t able to see the creation of this park, I think he would be proud of how it came out, and how successful it turned out to be.

https://disneyconnect.com/disney-history/

https://www.frommers.com/destinations/walt-disney-world/in-depth/history

https://www.floridadaily.com/why-walt-disney-chose-orlando-the-history-of-walt-disney-world/

Have you ever been to Disney World? or Disneyland?

Did you enjoy going if you did? 

What is your favorite part about Disney World?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topioc choice and super job Annabelle! Congrats on being #1!

• I have been to Disney World, more specifically EPCOT, but not Disneyland. I loved EPCOT and would definately go again. My favorite part was all the different cultures that you saw through out the park and how many tourist from around the world were there.

• I have gone to Disney World a couple of times, however I have not gone to Disney Land. I enjoy it everytime I go, and it is fun to check out the new park areas and rides that they add on. One of my favorite parts is the food - my favorite is the Dole Whip 

• I have never gone to Disney World or Disneyland. I feel like it would be fun to go to either though. I'm sure there is a lot of good food there.

• I have not been to Disney World nor Disneyland. I feel like I would definitely enjoy it if I did go. It would be a great experience for sure. I think the rides and the food would definitely be the best part just because I'm not super young and not into all of the disney things that I was into when I was younger.

• I agree, I would enjoy being able to go to either park, but I have not gone to either of them before. There are many different cool things about it.

• I have never been to Disney world before but if I had an opportunity to go sometime I think I would. I don't know if I would like Disney world or not but if I ever go in my lifetime I think it would be okay. I think my favorite part about Disney is it is friendly to all ages.

• I agree, even if someone doesn't think it would be fun, it would be good to try it out anyways. It is a cool expirence for any age to visit.

• I have never been to Disney World or Disneyland. I think that if I did go, I would enjoy it and have fun. I don't know what for sure what my favorite part about Disney World or Disneyland would be but i'm guessing it would probably be the food.

• I would also have fun if I were to go to either of them, but I haven't. There are many things that would be my favorite if I were to go.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker