The History of Disney World

Walt Disney World opened to the public on October 1, 1971, and has been wildly popular ever since. Disney World is a resort that people travel across the world to visit. This park currently contains multiple different theme parks, water parks, and many hotel resorts. Even to this day, the park continues to add new features that are bigger and better than the last. Disney World attracts over 50 million visitors per year and is labeled the most visited vacation destination in the world. This resort is located in Orlando, Florida and is about 43 square miles.

Many people have heard about Disney World, but don’t know the history of it. It all started because of Disneyland. Walt Disney came up with the idea of Disneyland after visiting another amusement park in Los Angeles. He wanted a place that children and their parents could go and enjoy their time together. Disneyland opened on July 5,1955. After seeing the success that Disneyland had, Walt Disney wanted to expand beyond that. They started the construction of this new theme park on May 30,1967. Unfortunately, Walt Disney became ill and died from lung cancer in 1966, so he wasn’t able to see any of the construction for this park.

Disney World started with just one theme park, Magic Kingdom. This quickly led to the company wanting to expand the park further. The next theme park was called the EPCOT Center, and was opened in 1982. This part of the resort featured several of Walt’s ideas that he wasn’t able to introduce when he was alive. Later that decade, in 1989, the third theme park was opened as Hollywood Studios. This park was inspired by show business, like television and music. Currently, the most recent addition to the parks is the fourth theme park, being Animal Kingdom, which opened in 1998. There are many other additions to the park, but these have been the main 4 so far. 

Personally, I’ve never been to Disney World or Disneyland, but I would like to visit someday. The history of these resorts is very interesting and isn’t one that most people would think is as deep as it is. Although Walt Disney wasn’t able to see the creation of this park, I think he would be proud of how it came out, and how successful it turned out to be.

https://disneyconnect.com/disney-history/

https://www.frommers.com/destinations/walt-disney-world/in-depth/history

https://www.floridadaily.com/why-walt-disney-chose-orlando-the-history-of-walt-disney-world/

Have you ever been to Disney World? or Disneyland?

Did you enjoy going if you did? 

What is your favorite part about Disney World?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I been to Disneyland before, it was very fun trip and given the chance I would go again. While I was pretty young when we went, but I really enjoyed the food and the rides. I also remember being really excited about meeting the princesses.

• That sounds really fun. Meeting the characters would probably be my favorite part, along with the rides too.

• I have been to Disney World several times with my family and it was a great time. I enjoyed Florida and the weather, we also went to Daytona Beach. My favorite part about Disney World was Mount Everest and also the water parks. I also liked the Animal Kingdom.

• That sounds really fun, especially because you have gone multiple times before. There are many things to do in that area as well.

• I have been to Disney World. I was little so I dont remember much, but I did enjoy all of the characters. My favorite part was all of the fun rides and the overall cool unreal experience it gives to you. Disney World is so unlike other fun parks.

• The characters seem like one of the best parts of Disney World, as well as all the rides and waterslides.

• I have never been to Disney World or Disneyland but I think that it would be a fun place to go. I have grown up around Disney, and being able to go to a place that is revolved around Disney would be a fun experience to have. I think that it is great that there is a place where people can go to have fun with their family and be around the Disney things that they know and love.

• It would definetely be fun to go. Disney has been my whole childhood so me seeing it come to life would be very interesting.

• I have never been to Disney World or Disneyland I would love to go and have fun and go with family. If I went I would be happy then i normally.

• I would also love to go, especially because it can be fun for everyone in the family.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker