The History of Air Travel

Traveling by plane is one of the most efficient and fast ways to travel to a new place. However, it wasn’t always so accessible to people. The first beginning thoughts of air travel was inspired by flying kites. More experimenting and testing led to the first plane made by the Wright brothers, Wilbur and Orville Wright. The evolution of planes changed a lot along the way with the first passenger planes being extremely uncomfortable. Around 1914-1927, planes were only big enough to hold the pilot and a few passengers-usually rich, luxury passengers. The plane rides were known to be loud, exposed to the wind and weather, and harsh. During this time, the prices for plane rides were extremely expensive and only the high status citizens were able to afford the tickets. 

Fast forward to 1927-1941, the plane rides were still uncomfortable, but a lot more advanced than the beginning flights. While the planes had been updated, they still had a lot of challenges like being unpressurized, which led to having bumpier rides. The invention of planes wasn’t made for transportation, so it was very unheard of for citizens to travel by plane. After World War II, traveling by plane became more and more popular. This was due to new technological advances for building planes to be more accessible and comfortable. Engineers had to transition planes from military grade, to being made to transport citizens. This was just the start of the air travel era, and it would only continue to grow more in the future. 

The planes made in the present time are known for transporting large amounts of people and also cargo and supplies. Planes have adapted tremendously from small, single passenger carriers, to huge, modernized planes that can transport over 800 people. Planes in today's world have powerful jets, pressurized cabins, and some even have double floors. They have been made with helpful technology to map out the flight and other planes flying in the surrounding areas. They have been made specifically for traveling and getting the best possible experience while traveling with different airlines. 

In today’s world, traveling by plane is considered normal and a very effective way to get somewhere. I think that the invention of the plane and the idea to travel from place to place by plane has made the world a lot more accessible and efficient. I don’t know how people and supplies would get across the world so easily without planes. It was definitely a breakthrough way of travel and transportation for the whole world. 

Do you like to travel to new places?

What is your favorite place you have been to?

What other ways of transportation are as efficient as planes?

Evolution of the Commercial Flying Experience 

History of Flight

History of Aviation 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like traveling a lot, I like to know new places that may have cultures, foods, traditions that are very different from those of my my country. I get excited when we go to travel to places even if it is within my country.

I think my favorite place I've been is Cancun or Las Vegas.

• I love traveling to new places to grow my perspective on different parts of the country. My favorite place that I have traveled to is definitely Florida because of the scenery and the weather. I do not think there are any other ways of transportation that are as efficient as planes.

• I do like to travel to new places and see what it is like around the country and the world. My favorite place that I have traveled to was probably Colorado where we got to ride in helicopters over the mountains. I think that helicopters are close to planes because they can go fast but can not carry as many people. 

• I enjoy traveling to new places but not for very long periods.  My favorite place I have been is to the mountains because the people and the area are just so much different from here. Trains are probably the fastest way to travel right behind planes and helicopters.

• I would love to travel to new places and see things all over the world. The only place I have ever really flown to is Arizona, which I did get to go the Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. Those places were super pretty. There really isn't any transportations that are as effcient as planes especially when it comes to traveling across ocean.

• I also would like to travel around the world and see new countries and places. I think it would be really cool to see other cultures. 

• Yes, I like to travel to new places and see how other live and what the different landscape is like in other places. My favorite place I have been to is probably Mexico It was very fun especially when it is cold here to get away from. I don't think there is any more effecient ways to travel then by plane. 

• I like traveling to new places and going on planes. My favorite place I have been was Connecticut because it was very pretty and I got to see the ocean. I think that places are the most efficient way of transportation because they can get you from one place to another very fast even if they are thousands of miles away.

• I like air travel because it can be fun to look out the window and see the clouds below you but it can be scary for people that are afraid of hights

• Yes I like traveling to new places because its fun. I also get to meet new people and see new things. The favorite place ive been to is probably Harlan cause my house is there and my house has lots of food and Harlan has a bowling alley and a nice football field.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker