The History of Air Travel

Traveling by plane is one of the most efficient and fast ways to travel to a new place. However, it wasn’t always so accessible to people. The first beginning thoughts of air travel was inspired by flying kites. More experimenting and testing led to the first plane made by the Wright brothers, Wilbur and Orville Wright. The evolution of planes changed a lot along the way with the first passenger planes being extremely uncomfortable. Around 1914-1927, planes were only big enough to hold the pilot and a few passengers-usually rich, luxury passengers. The plane rides were known to be loud, exposed to the wind and weather, and harsh. During this time, the prices for plane rides were extremely expensive and only the high status citizens were able to afford the tickets. 

Fast forward to 1927-1941, the plane rides were still uncomfortable, but a lot more advanced than the beginning flights. While the planes had been updated, they still had a lot of challenges like being unpressurized, which led to having bumpier rides. The invention of planes wasn’t made for transportation, so it was very unheard of for citizens to travel by plane. After World War II, traveling by plane became more and more popular. This was due to new technological advances for building planes to be more accessible and comfortable. Engineers had to transition planes from military grade, to being made to transport citizens. This was just the start of the air travel era, and it would only continue to grow more in the future. 

The planes made in the present time are known for transporting large amounts of people and also cargo and supplies. Planes have adapted tremendously from small, single passenger carriers, to huge, modernized planes that can transport over 800 people. Planes in today's world have powerful jets, pressurized cabins, and some even have double floors. They have been made with helpful technology to map out the flight and other planes flying in the surrounding areas. They have been made specifically for traveling and getting the best possible experience while traveling with different airlines. 

In today’s world, traveling by plane is considered normal and a very effective way to get somewhere. I think that the invention of the plane and the idea to travel from place to place by plane has made the world a lot more accessible and efficient. I don’t know how people and supplies would get across the world so easily without planes. It was definitely a breakthrough way of travel and transportation for the whole world. 

Do you like to travel to new places?

What is your favorite place you have been to?

What other ways of transportation are as efficient as planes?

Evolution of the Commercial Flying Experience 

History of Flight

History of Aviation 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• While with some of the new places to go and travel I sometimes like to go and travel somewere else when i like to do something like my favorite travel to go to is Were Strom lake is first and go their to have some fun.

• I do like to travel to new places, I like seeing other states and countries' ecosystems and landscapes. my favorite place that I have been to is Florida but I also really like Colorado and the mountains. I feel like there are other ways that are more efficient than air travel.

• I do like traveling to new places because it is very nice to try new things. My favorite place I have been to Washington DC but I haven't been to many places. Their isn't many thinks like an Airplane besides a Heli-Copter but those can't hold as much and don't go as fast. The design is way different on each aswell.

• I really enjoy traveling, especially to places I've never been before. I haven't been anywhere outside the country but my favorite place I've been is probably Lake Tahoe in California. I don't think there are any ways of transportation that are as efficient as planes.

• I agree that it is fun to travel to new places because then you can explore the city and find new activities to do. 

• Yes, I like to travel to new places, its fun and enertaining. I think planes have been a huge game changer to help speed up the process of traveling. My favorite place I've been to was the island of Kawai, Hawaii and I enjoyed it very much. I can't think of anying that would be more faster and efficient than a plane.

• I agree that planes has really helped the travel Industry sp people can get to places faster. 

• I love going to new places in planes it would be amazing. I don't have a fav place i went to except Sacramento Cali. Cars is efficent to go to other places but not as fast as planes.

• I love travelling and going to new places. My favorite place I've been to is probably The Grand Tetons in Wyoming. I like taking planes but I think road trips are fun if you have stuff to do.

• I agree that road trips can be a fun trip if you have the entertainment to keep you busy. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker