The Great Wall of America?

Wisconsin Governor, Scott Walker, has come up with an idea to build a wall separating America and Canada.  Walker is also a Republican Presidential Contender and said this idea came about when campaigning in New Hampshire.  The thought of a Northern border is a dramatic shift from the normal campaign-trail talk of the Mexican Border. Walker is focused on securing the United States borders and enforcing U.S. Laws.  He says this not only affects the Southern Border and Mexico, but also the Northern Border and Canada. 

But why would there be a need for a wall separating two countries who have never had any major conflict? Supposedly, there have been terrorist attacks plotted in Canada.  The "Millennium Plot" in 2000 was a plan for an Algerian man to cross the border into the United States from Canada and bomb the Los Angeles International Airport.

What are the pros and cons of having a wall separating the United States and Canada? How do you think it would improve or harm relations with Canada?

I personally do not think that a wall between the United States and Canada is necessary, solely because we have not had any major conflicts with Canada. I also think that by putting up this barrier, Canada could possibly get the wrong idea about our intentions. 

Find the full story here

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• A wall between America and Canada is definitely not a good idea, it would definitely send the wrong message to Canada. Also, Canada has about the same passport and air force security as we do, therefore making it just as safe as if a terrorist tried to enter the U.S. Also, if a terrorist did get into Canada, they would have to pass through border patrol at the border.

• I agree with you, I think this would cause unnecessary conflict between us and Canada.

• I think the main reason someone would want to do this is because they are worried about terrorist getting into Canada and then crossing over into the United States illegally to bomb something. Stopping them would definitely be a pro. The thing is the amount of money and resources it would take to do that is to much in my opinion. They also might get offended by us building the wall, as if to say we don't trust them.

• I agree with you! I think that is important to keep America safe, but I think there are other ways to do that instead of putting up a wall! 

• I think that the US of A is the greatest country in the world and I would not be upset if we built this border. If Canada does get upset, they can move because we can use the land. If we explain the reason for the wall, I don't think Canada would be too upset about it. But, I don't know if a wall is going to prevent terrorist attacks. What'll do the trick is a wall and about 100 marines per mile. Then, if that goes well, we should do the same thing on the Mexican border. I'm not saying Mexicans shouldn't be granted US citizenship, but if they want it, they'll have to do it legally.

• You definitely have a different take on this compared to everyone that has previously answered! I do agree with you when you say that Mexicans who cross the border should become a U.S. Citizen legally, but I think that if America were to put a wall up between us and Canada, it would send Canada the wrong message.  I guess we won't know until we try- if this does end up happening! 

• The only pro I can think of is that our borders would be more secure to those from Canada who do wish to harm us. However, I find that a little far-fetched to believe. I feel that we've always had a pretty good relationship with Canada, and putting up a wall could harm our relationship with them. Or like you said, they could get the wrong idea about our intentions. I also think that there are more important issues to deal with in the America first rather than focusing on building an unneeded wall between us and Canada. For example, environmental issues like pollution and the contamination of some bodies of water. And besides, we haven't ever really had any previous problems with Canada, so why is there a need to build a wall to separate us?

• I agree with you! I definitely think that we would be creating unnecessary problems by putting up this wall!

• The building of this wall would be dumb.  Like you said we never have had major problems with Canada.  It would really harm the relationship that we have with Canada because they might think that we don't trust them.  

• Exactly! I don't think we should create any unnecessary problems, America already has enough! 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker