The difference between German and American schools

In the American school system, students with different talents are never divided into different school types. There are three different types in the German school system. How to get to school is not a big deal for Americans because they just take their own cars, but German students must look for a bus or train connection. Germans only get their driver’s license at the age of 18. So as a German it’s very funny to see 14-year-olds driving their cars to school. Besides, in America you have the same subjects every day, while in Germany you have different subjects every day and the individual hours are spread over the week. In German schools, students usually stay in one classroom all day and the teacher always change classrooms depending on the subject. The American students change their classroom for each lesson and the teacher usually has a fixed room where they teach.

What I’ve also observed is that there are many more sports in America schools that you can sign up for. That’s one thing I like better about the American school system than the German school system. While in Germany you might do a sport next to school, there are popular football games in America. Almost every Friday there are these games where there is always a new topic for which you as a spectator can dress appropriately.                                                                                                                 

What also surprised me was being in a class with students who are a few years older or younger than you. Which people you take a class with depends on which classes you choose not whether you are a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior.

In my opinion, the two school systems are quite different from each other. And I’ve noticed many differences myself.

What are your opinions on this topic?

Would you say that the school systems differ greatly? Would you also go to a German school for a few days?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done summary Clara! Always interesting to hear the differences between your school and ours. The issue is you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points.

• I think that German and American schools are very different in many ways. For instance, in America we switch classes each period, but Germans stay in the same school all day.  I think I would like to try German schoool for a few days because I think it would be nice for things to be different.

• I would like to try German school for a few weeks to see which one I would prefer. I would not like to have to sit in the same classroom all day. I would want to be able to move around. I think that I would prefer the American schedule just because I am used to it. I am sure they both have different pros and cons.

• I think both schools are unique in their own ways. It's interesting because alhtough both schools run differently they both make sense. Comparing both, they are very different from eachother but I think it works out that way. If I had the chance to go to a German school for a few days I would. It would be interesting to see how different it is. 

• To me, these schools do seem very different and both have their pros and cons. I feel like I'd like to keep the american schedule just because we move around more and I don't think I'd like staying in one class all day. It would be fun to go to German school for a few days and see how it compares. It would also be fun to see what the culture is like too.

• I feel like being in the German school system would be fun for a few days. The year before you came in, there was another German foreign exchange student named Laura that came in. Me and her talked about the differences she found and she said that for her school you have to sign up for ALL extra curriculars (musical or sporty) as clubs outside of school. I personally don't believe I would survive very long in the German system because of that, as well as the additional difficulty of the school

• I think that the both schools are very different in their own ways. I'm sure there are many more differences between the two school systems than stated above. I think I would like to go to a German school for a week to see the different ways of teaching and learning. 

• I think German schools are very different and American schools are more organized. With German schools you stay in one class for all of your subjects and for American schools you go to different classes for every subject. I don't think I would like staying in the same class for the whole school day.

• I think American schools and German schools are very different but I also think its cool that you don't move classes the teacher does. I would go to a German school for a few days it would be a great experience. 

• In my opinion, I believe that the American schools are better for transportation and sports, but I would also like to know the differences in the way the students are taught in German schools. I do think that these systems vary a lot because a big focus for American schools is sports, but it seems that German schools don't focus on sports. I would like to go to a German school just to see how the system varies and how different the people and culture is there.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker