The case of George Floyd

George Floyd

I think we all knew about the case of George Floyd, the innocent man whose life was taken by the police, even though he told them several times that he couldn’t breathe.

Here I will tell you in more detail what happened. (I'm sorry if it's long but it's just to give you details.)

Mr. Floyd was a regular at Cup Foods.- He was a friendly face, a pleasant consumer who never caused any trouble, the store owner Mike Abumayyaleh told NBC. But Mr. Abumayyaleh was not at work on the day of the incident (May 25). In reporting the suspicious bill, his teenage employee  was just following the protocol.

In a call to 911, made at 20:01, the employee told the operator he had demanded the cigarettes back but “he (Floyd) doesn’t want to do that”. The employee said the man appeared “drunk” and “not in control of himself”.  Shortly after the call, at around 20:08, two police officers arrived. Mr. Floyd was sitting with two other people in a car parked around the corner. After approaching the car, one of the officers, Thomas Lane, pulled out his gun and ordered Mr. Floyd to show his hands.  Mr. Lane, prosecutors said, “put his hands on Mr. Floyd, and pulled him out of the car”.Then Mr Floyd “actively resisted being handcuffed”. Once handcuffed, though, Mr. Floyd became compliant while Mr Lane explained he was being arrested for “passing counterfeit currency”.

After that, At about 20:14, Mr Floyd “stiffened up, fell to the ground, and told the officers he was claustrophobic”, according to the report.

Mr Chauvin arrived at the scene. He and other officers were involved in a further attempt to put Mr Floyd in the police car. During this attempt, at 20:19, Mr Chauvin pulled Mr Floyd away from the passenger side, causing him to fall to the ground, the report said.  He lay there, face down, still in handcuffs. That’s when witnesses started to film Mr Floyd, who appeared to be in a distressed state. These moment, captured on multiple mobile phones and shared widely on social media, would prove to be Mr Floyd’s last.

Mr Floyd was restrained by officers, while Mr Chauvin placed his left knee between his head and neck. For more than nine minutes, Mr Chauvin kept his knee on Mr Floyd’s neck.

The transcripts of bodycam footage from officers Lane and J Alexander Kueng show Mr Floyd  said more than 20 times he could not breathe as he was restrained. He was also pleading for his mother and begging “please, please, please”.  At one point, Mr Floyd gasps: “You’re going to kill me, man". Officer Chauvin replies: “Then stop talking, stop yelling. It takes heck of a lot of oxygen to talk”. Mr Floyd says: ”Can’t believe this, man. Mom, love you, Love you. Tell my kids I love them. I’m dead”. 

A female bystander told the police: “His nose is bleeding, come on now”. About six minutes into that period, Mr Floyd became non-responsive. In videos of the incident, this was when Mr Floyd fell silent, as bystanders urged the officers to check his pulse. Officer kueng did just that, checking Mr Floyd’s right wrist, but “couldn’t find one”. Yet the other officers did not move.

At 20:27, Mr Chauvin removed his knee from Mr Floyd’s neck. Motionless, Mr Floyd was rolled on to a gurney and taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center in an ambulance.

He was pronounced dead about an hour later.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fpivi5ljhI

Questions:

What do you think about this?

What do you think about what the police did?

Have you seen any video of George Floyd's arrest before?

What do you think happened to the police officer?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, Because of these types of cases, people do not even trust the police to keep them safe, because apart from this case there have been many massacres in marches that they do peacefully and those who have the weapons are the police. This type of situation is very sad.

• I think it is a very sad case, the way the US has not changed that much even after everything people went through is very disappointing. The police should not be that way, they should be respectful and do their job regardless of people's background. Yes, I saw the video and it's very sad. I hope the police officer went to jail. 

• I agree with you, the police are there to take care of and have control of the entire population, not just some, and if they can hurt or treat them badly, it is wrong. I think they did put the police officer in jail but I don't know for how long, I have to investigate that.

• This a terrible thing that happened that I think could have been prevented. It's a police's job to protect people and the police should have considered Floyd's comment that he couldn't breathe, rather than making a snark comment. Police need to restrain a dangerous person/criminally as quickly and effectively but also as safely as possible. The police should have considered if THAT much force was necessary to keep safety

• Yess, I think the same as you, I think we all know that the police must stay strong with the people they are going to arrest so that they do not escape if they are foraging, but if that that person is saying that they are hurting them, it is obvious that they would have to find another way to stop him but without hurting him.

• I feel like this situation was difficult and escalated beyond what was necessary. I understand the police acted with force they felt necessary, but it seems unethical to remain on a person's neck for nearly 10 minutes while refusing to move and being extremely unprofessional and rude. It is a difficult situationt that I believe could've been handled better. 

• Yes, The police should have thought twice, even if they had to arrest Mr. Floyd, they could have done it in a different way or not so much untilthey killed him. I agree with you, it was very unprofessional of them.

• I feel like this is a very tough situation and it was not handled right. I had heard about the whole George Floyd insident before this but never had I seen any videos. I believe the police officer faced some consequences, but I'm not sure exactly what they were.

• I agree with you, the situation could have been handled differently and calmly without any aggression. If I'm not wrong the officer was legally sentenced, there were rumors that he had been sentenced to the death penalty.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker