The Almost State of Franklin

Have you ever heard of the 14th almost state, Franklin? During the building years of the United States in the late 18th century, Franklin was proposed to be the 14th state added. The area of Franklin was supposed to be the upper east area of Tennessee.

After the Revolutionary War North Carolina legislators discussed giving some land to the federal government. The people who inhabited those areas started to discuss plans of self-government. By December of 1784, they had declared themselves the “state of Franklin.” This however had not been recognized by the states due to slow communication between people at the December Conference and the people of the “state of Franklin.” The land that had been given during that time was taken back. This left the people of Franklin without any land to call a state.

But why was the state going to be named Franklin? Originally the state was to be called Frankland, they even had a slogan, “The land of free men.” In the end, they decided to change the name to Franklin. First, in Benjamin Franklin’s honor, they proposed the name. Second, the leaders wanting to add Franklin as a state saw the name Franklin was gaining more traction in the courts. They decided this name would give them a better chance of getting their so-called state to become a reality.

So, why did the state of Franklin eventually fail? The state of Franklin operated like any other state during its time, but it did have its problems. Some of these included a lack of military, tax-free living, and the lack of economic infrastructure. Because of this, the North Carolina government began to give incentives to the people living in the Franklin land to move back to their former government. They also offered to waive all taxes they hadn’t paid during their time living in Franklin. This was all under the notion that Franklin would dissolve letting the people leave the “state.” The state as a whole refused this offer, but it wasn’t long after that many citizens and leaders had moved away.

Questions:

What would you name a state if you could?

Would it be named after you, why or why not?

Do you think Franklin should have stayed as a state?

Sources:

https://www.deseret.com/23922454/history-of-the-state-of-franklin/

https://www.taraross.com/post/tdih-state-franklin

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/true-story-short-lived-state-franklin-180964541/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• How could you incorperate a hidden meaning into a state name? I think it would be a cool idea.

• A hidden meaning that connected with you would be cool. Then whenever someone talks about the state you could know the hidden meaning behind it.

•  I have no idea what I would name a state I think when naming towns and states you have to be creative and original. I would not name it after myself I think that would be selfish and would have no meaning in my eyes.

• What could be a creative and original name for a new state?

• When naming towns and states you do want them to be original and creative. Something I think a lot of people would struggle with if they were given the task.

• I don't think that I would want to name a state because if it's bad then it will be there for a while. I wouldn't name it after me because Nelson is to generic because there are a lot of nelson things like nelson farm supply. I don't think that it should have stayed a state because it is to small and nobody would know what it is.

• Do you think it would be confusing to have a state named something generic?

• That is a good point, if you named a state and didn't end up liking it. The state name isn't just going to change right away, it might take awhile to get it to a name you do like.

• I would name a state Arktana. Not names after me cause no. Yes.

• Why do you think that Franklin could have stayed as a state?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker