Tesla

Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk tweeted that "we started Tesla. They made them when GM forcibly recalled all electric cars from customers in 2003 & then crushed them in a junkyard In 1996, GM had come out with an electric car called EV1, whose production came to a halt in 1999.''Tesla was founded in 2003, shortly after GM destroyed the prototypes for its electric vehicle, the EV-1. In 2004, Elon Musk came to the fledgling company and provided much of the initial capital support to run it. It was founded with the idea to create effective electric cars and sell them to the masses. To do so, it created a 3 tiered strategy. The first phase was to release a sports car, which was then the only effective type of electric vehicle in terms of return on investment. It would be followed by a $60,000 sedan, and eventually, a $30,000 sedan, sold to the masses. As often has happened with Elon Musk’s companies, the timeline for these events was a bit off. The first phase, the Tesla Roadster, was released in 2008 and was slightly more expensive than anticipated. It was sold for about 4 years and has not been manufactured since. The Tesla Roadster that SpaceX sent into space was purchased by Elon Musk in 2009. Elon Musk’s Tesla RoadsterThe Model S was the next car produced. It was originally released in 2012. There are a number of varieties to it, varying the battery size, and other features, but in general it was the first practical electric vehicle mass-marketed, albeit at a high price. Current prices for a Model S start at $74,500. There they experimented with technology like autopilot, supercharging, and others. The car has been continually improved via hardware changes in the factory, as well as software changes for the entire fleet. The Model X is similar in design but built to satisfy the SUV market. Tesla, unlike most other auto manufacturers, continually improves their vehicles, not in arbitrary year model versions like other companies.

Are you interested in buying a Tesla? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice Tristan! You gave good effort with your summary but please use paragrpahs to better effect. The big issue is that you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points.

• No, I personally dont think I would enjoy having a tesla. The only thing I would like about it is that you wouldnt have to pay for gas but you would have to pay the electic bill and im sure that would be pretty high. I honestly dont understand how they work and how long can they stayed charged and what happens if you run out of power in a small town that only has gas stations. 

• I dont think that buying a tesla is useful because at this point your electricity bill will be the same as your gas prices. At the same time I do wish i had an tesla for some reason. I think I wouldnt buy one because they are not cheap either.

• I think that I would possibly buy a Tesla. If I did I would certainly have a gas-powered vehicle as well so if the power goes out then I can still drive and get places. I think that going electric will be the new future and it will be more common than now. 

• I am not interested in buying a Tesla. They can get very pricey, aswell as the amount of time it takes to charge a Tesla. If you forget to charge your car, you would have to wait 8.5 hours or longer for a full charge. 

• Electric Cars are not the future of a more green type of transportaion. All electricity for these cars are just repacked energy that made greenhouse gases.

• I am definetly not interested in buying a tesla ever. Electric cars do not help the environment and the durability is just not there. I would rather have a diesel or gas pickup that will get the job done. Tesla cannot handle the tough jobs farmers and other workers would throw at it.

• I do not think I would buy a tesla if I had the chance. They are too expensive and they take a long time to charge and dont last very long. And it will make your electricity bill very high from charging it at your house.

• I'm not interested in buying a Tesla. In my opinion they are just too expensive, and they raise your electric bill. The charges of Teslas just take a long time and are time consuming. Cars that take gas are just so much easier because when it needs gas you go to gas station and wait for like 5 minutes for it to fill.

• Am interested in buying Tesla. It better than using gas and now there are a lot of places to charge your Tesla now. And If I don't want to drive it can drive by itself and I can call it to come to me.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker