Tattoos: Think Before You Ink

A tattoo is a mark, design, or word intentionally placed on the body using an electric machine that penetrates the skin. Tattoos, originally used to identify slaves and criminals, have evolved from previous stigmas surrounding them and have become very common among the general population. Many people choose to wear tattoos to express their feelings, artistic nature, beliefs, or as a way to remember and honor someone or something. However, tattoos are often still frowned upon among certain age groups, social settings, and those who are prone to certain health risks. 

A large number of teens and young adults have shown an increase of interest in tattoos over the last decade. In most states, the legal age to receive a tattoo without permission from a parent or guardian is 18. This ordinance is in place to regulate teen’s spontaneous ideas and to keep them from inking something they may regret in the future. The desire of most teens to get a tattoo is temporary, but tattoos are forever. 

Stereotypes about tattoos have shifted, but they often still carry a burden in certain social settings and places. For instance, the workplace is a common area where tattoos are treated condescendingly and deemed unprofessional. When going through the hiring process, working with co-workers, or dealing with customers, it is more than likely that assumptions will be made about your character based on your tattoo, good or bad. Views and opinions on tattoos can create a negative stigma and a divide in the workplace. 

Many who suffer from health risks like heart disease, eczema, allergies, etc., are most susceptible to battling side effects from a tattoo. The health risks of tattoos can be limited by choosing a registered, experienced tattooist. However, you are still prone to struggling with infection, allergic reactions, and thick scarring. These side effects may only worsen over time given that the skin that contains the tattoo changes drastically throughout your life. It is important to research all of the health risks and to consult your doctor before getting a tattoo. 

Personally, I would like to get a tattoo someday. When I first proposed the idea to my parents, I was repeatedly told that I must wait until I am 18 when I can make the decision for myself. After doing research on this topic, I now understand their reasoning and the importance of thinking through my decision. I have a good idea of what I want my first tattoo to be, but thanks to my parents, I have plenty of time to fully consider my design before making it permanent.

The choice to get a tattoo is a very personal decision and requires many factors to be taken into consideration. Tattoos act as a form of self expression and can communicate different signals to the public. While they are often degraded by society for influencing younger age groups, creating division and a sense of unprofessionalism in the workplace, and propose a number of health risks, there is no doubt that tattoos carry artistic value that is personalized to each individual. 

Would you let your child get a tattoo? If so, what age?

Should tattoos be allowed in professional settings?

Do you know anyone who has a tattoo they regret?

Sources:

The Nation's Health.org - Play It Smart With Body Art

Cluecho.com - Tattoos & Piercings

University Of Houston.edu - Tattoos In The Workplace

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, I would let my child get a tattoo if they wanted to but I would make them wait till they are 18-20 years old. I do know someone that got a tattoo that they regret and it's their ex boyfriends name.

• I think i would let my kids get a tattoo but need to be about 18 or older and need to think before doing as it and if they like it. I don't know anyone with one that regreted it. Most people that have one likes them.

• For me, I would not let my child get a tattoo until they are 18 years old. I feel this way because they are now old enough to make decisions for themself, so they should be able to choose if they want a permanent tattoo on them. I think tattoos should be accepted in professional settings because it is just peoples' preferences. I do not know anyone who has regretted getting a tattoo.

• I agree. I think tattoos are a personal decision and preference, similar to dyed hair color or painted nails, which are allowed in professional environments. 

• Personally i would let my child decide if they wanted a tatoo but i would also have to see what the tatoo is or what it means before id let them get it, because if they were to get a tatoo they regretted they would be stuck with it unless they find a way to erase them.

• I agree, I think that most people don't realize how permenant tattoos are and how difficult they are to remove. It is something that is very important to consider before getting a tattoo.

• I'll let my kid get tattoos as long as it's a good thing not like worshiping anything bad. My mom has a tattoo on her foot she doesn't regret it but always said she can't wear certain socks and shoes to professional places. She's not embarrassed by the tattoo it's just a turtle but she just feels it's unprofessional.  

• i think that when you gonna get a tattoo it has to be something that you like or that has a significant to you or your family tattoo are not permanent but its hard to get it off and its expensive . so if i have a kid and he tell me that he wants a tattoo i wiil let him but he has to choose something that he likes and he has to be 100% that he wants that model of tattoo.

• I think I would let my kid get a tattoo as soon as they know they are always going to have it. I think the artists should do whatever makes them feel comfortable and able to do. I dont know no one that has regreted it.

• I agree. I think that the decision to get a tattoo is one that cannot be taken lightly, and until the individual has come to terms of how permanent it is, then they should be allowed to get one.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker