Show Choir

Do you like singing?? Do you like dancing?? Than you should try show choir! Currently at Harlan Community High School we have an amazing award winning show choir. We traveled across Iowa almost every weekend during the winter to compete at competitions.   

What is show choir? According to the website, Stage Right, “Show choir is a performance that combines choral singing along with choreography”. They always have a theme to base their show on. For example, Harlan’s show choir theme for 2024 was, The 80s. We dressed up in leotards, crimped our hair, and sang Elton John. I loved this theme. Show choir first started around the 1970s and was known as “Swing Choir”.  Show choir is mainly a midwest thing. It is not super popular around the world. It started getting attention around the 2010’s because of the TV show “Glee” 

What is the process of making a show choir? At this high school, you are required to go through an audition process. You must, sing and dance. Then, you will get judged on how well you do and get put into a group based on your vocal range. Then, in August we go through a tough 2 day camp where we learn our choreography for the whole show. Then at practices the dances get easier and you start singing and moving around. Then we start adding our show band, and fun costumes. August-January is the learning time period. February-March is the competition period.  A whole show choir performance takes around 15 minutes.  

This was my first year doing show choir, and I honestly didn’t think I would enjoy it. All of the time spent on practices pay off during competitions. During this season, we made finals at 2 competitions and we made history for Harlan Community High School’s Breaking Cyclence. So if you are considering trying something new and joining showchoir it will be so worth it!  

Pictures: 

0?ui=2&ik=9c798d126b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-675147234563140444&th=18f036978152bfd6&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_TbT_0LV7IZBGsqSUYqGzBpEYhEEWZkyXF_kjCS6inrms2mvvaTM88BTmBZblP_YDS875oZk9w88MwZjkd433oav7WHCwcTNTQxgjotBb5e2pEHp8jsMQyX74&disp=emb&realattid=18f03696fcef0dba6ed1&profile=RESIZE_400x

0?ui=2&ik=9c798d126b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r1654154060389246101&th=18f036546da84a64&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_8THJ_qxsJpI0tB1T03QPuT_-49iqEQ3plUb1iSlhxhLM9uslWlysy9d15XOPj5J14WnsslE5QjGIsnO_SCObxwHUPWh8TcRt148itsbIQ0AcGOGPOkUWN_Ls&disp=emb&realattid=18f0364358ff804b3f41&profile=RESIZE_400xSources: https://performance.stageright.com/blog/what-is-show-choir/  

https://www.showchoir.com/ 

Questions: 

What is your opinion on show choir?

Have you ever heard of show choir before? 

Would you ever try show choir? Why or why not?  

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think show choir looks fun, but I don't know if I would want to join. I think it is a good program that gives students a good musical opportunity, and I respect and value the hard work that every member puts into the program.

• I have never done it but I don't mind it I guess, I probably wouldn't try it 

• I never did it and dont care about it i guess its ok becuase of the all of the things you have to do. i have heard about show choir. i wouldnt becuase i dont like those type of things you have to do it also its a lot of dancing and doing all that 

• I think that show choir looks super fun and I would consider doing it. Before I got to high school I didn't know much about it until I joined the show band, which was a blast. I am thinking about maybe being in the show choir next year because I love to sing and dance and be around a good environment.

• I love going to show choir comps with you!! They are so much fun.

• I think that show choir is interesting to watch, but I would never do it. I don't like singing and I am not very good at dancing so I don't think I would enjoy it. I also don't like it when I have a lot of makeup on and when my hair is styled. I will pass on it. 

• me personally, I think you should do it and suffer with me :)

• Show Choir is beautiful with everyone singing together with same or different notes it is very calming and makes you sleep. Yes I have I listen to it on youtube videos it is very peaceful music. No thanks because it takes a lot of practice.

• I think that show choir is a really cool program and I have heard of it and seen them perform before. I don't think I would join show choir becuase I am not a good dancer and I don't have enough time to commit to it.

• I think that show choir is a good way to get into the musical aspect of our school. I have been in show choir since middle school, and I have enjoyed it. I think that many people would enjoy it because it is very flexible and people are able to be in multiple activities and still be in it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker