Show Choir

Do you like singing?? Do you like dancing?? Than you should try show choir! Currently at Harlan Community High School we have an amazing award winning show choir. We traveled across Iowa almost every weekend during the winter to compete at competitions.   

What is show choir? According to the website, Stage Right, “Show choir is a performance that combines choral singing along with choreography”. They always have a theme to base their show on. For example, Harlan’s show choir theme for 2024 was, The 80s. We dressed up in leotards, crimped our hair, and sang Elton John. I loved this theme. Show choir first started around the 1970s and was known as “Swing Choir”.  Show choir is mainly a midwest thing. It is not super popular around the world. It started getting attention around the 2010’s because of the TV show “Glee” 

What is the process of making a show choir? At this high school, you are required to go through an audition process. You must, sing and dance. Then, you will get judged on how well you do and get put into a group based on your vocal range. Then, in August we go through a tough 2 day camp where we learn our choreography for the whole show. Then at practices the dances get easier and you start singing and moving around. Then we start adding our show band, and fun costumes. August-January is the learning time period. February-March is the competition period.  A whole show choir performance takes around 15 minutes.  

This was my first year doing show choir, and I honestly didn’t think I would enjoy it. All of the time spent on practices pay off during competitions. During this season, we made finals at 2 competitions and we made history for Harlan Community High School’s Breaking Cyclence. So if you are considering trying something new and joining showchoir it will be so worth it!  

Pictures: 

0?ui=2&ik=9c798d126b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-675147234563140444&th=18f036978152bfd6&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_TbT_0LV7IZBGsqSUYqGzBpEYhEEWZkyXF_kjCS6inrms2mvvaTM88BTmBZblP_YDS875oZk9w88MwZjkd433oav7WHCwcTNTQxgjotBb5e2pEHp8jsMQyX74&disp=emb&realattid=18f03696fcef0dba6ed1&profile=RESIZE_400x

0?ui=2&ik=9c798d126b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r1654154060389246101&th=18f036546da84a64&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_8THJ_qxsJpI0tB1T03QPuT_-49iqEQ3plUb1iSlhxhLM9uslWlysy9d15XOPj5J14WnsslE5QjGIsnO_SCObxwHUPWh8TcRt148itsbIQ0AcGOGPOkUWN_Ls&disp=emb&realattid=18f0364358ff804b3f41&profile=RESIZE_400xSources: https://performance.stageright.com/blog/what-is-show-choir/  

https://www.showchoir.com/ 

Questions: 

What is your opinion on show choir?

Have you ever heard of show choir before? 

Would you ever try show choir? Why or why not?  

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yuh!! Show choir is so awesome!

• Im not very interested in show choir so my opinons neutral. I have heard it before. I would not try, dont got the voice for it.

• I definetly have a lot of respect for people who do show choir. I can barely sing and dance on their own, much less do them together. My brother was in the show choir band a couple seasons ago, so I got to see a few shows. They were so fun and I love the different selections of songs and costumes!

• Your brother is such a legend. He has been very missed in the trumpet section. 

• I have not heard much about show choir before. I would not ever consider going out for show choir just because singing is not something I am interested in. I did choir in 6th grade and I decided it was not for me so I didn't go any further. 

• I had never heard of show choir before this year. I've never been to a show either but I think it would be interesting to watch. I really don't have an opinion on show choir. I think it would be a fun thing to try out for. I am not a very good singer so I would not try out for show choir.

• Show choir is a cool activity to have as an option for students, it seems like a fun thing to do if you are interested in things like that. Show choirs can make nice performances and I enjoy watching them. Personally, I wouldn't be in show choir, because I can't sing and I wouldn't have time.

• I think show choir is a cool way for students to embrace themselves or have fun. I have heard of show choir before but I don't think I would ever try it. Show choir doesn't seem useful to me. 

• I think showchoir is cool too! 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker