Should Young Children Have Phones?

There are many reasons why children should or shouldn't have phones. Since phones were created so recently we are still trying to figure out the best way to introduce them to young minds. There have been many studies conducted and most of them say you should wait till your child is 12-14 years old or they should be in at least the eighth grade. Now, 42% of children get a phone before the age of 10 and as much as 91% have a phone by the young age of fourteen. Should we be buying children phones this early? 

First of all, many parents like that their children have phones because they are able to be in constant contact. This makes many parents feel more secure when their kids leave home. Phones are also great to have because of safety reasons. They could call 911 or anybody that can help them with just a couple clicks of a button.  Another reason it's good for children to have phones is because it gives them a sense of independence and maturity. This gives them responsiblity and helps them learn how to take care of things at an earlier age. 

There are also many down sides to having phones at a young age. Screen addictions can start especially at a young age. Overuse of phones at such a young age can have poor mental and physical health effects. There is also problems with parents being able to control what their children are playing or watching. With this, cyberbullying can accure no matter how much you try as a parent to stop it. 

Personally, I believe that kids should have phones. But only when they are old enough for parents to trust them or they need it because they have extracurricular activities, like sports. I feel like a good time to get a phone would be the seventh grade when many people start school sports or other activities. Otherwise I would say get a phone at the age of 12. Parents should implement their own rules based on what they see fit. For example, I got my first phone when I was in seventh grade. I had screen time and could only have certain apps until I proved to my parents they could trust me. I feel this is what most parents should do in order to help control the amount of phone usage for their child. 

What age did you get a phone?

What age do you think children should get a phone?

Why do you think that's a good age?

Source 1: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/is-your-child-ready-for-a-smartphone-or-not

Source 2 : https://www.forbes.com/health/family/best-age-for-first-cell-phone/#:~:text=Recent%20survey%20data%20suggests%2042,placed%20in%20a%20child's%20pocket.

Source 3 : https://troomi.com/pros-and-cons-of-young-kids-having-cell-phones/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe that kids should be able to have limits set on something like a tablet, but they shouldn't have their own phones. I just feel that phones are too much of a responsibility for young children to handle and there is so many things that could go wrong with it.

• I got a flip phone at the age of 10, around the 3rd grade. This was just to contact my parents in emergencies. I think whatever age the parent finds appropriate is the age a child should recieve a phone. I think this is a parents decision and should be based on the child.

• I think I got my phone around maybe 10 or so. I am not quite sure when I did. I don't know the exact age a child should be able to have their own phone but I don't see them having it as a young child is bad. But defently have a time of when and how much they can be on it.

• I was in 6th grade when I got my phone. I feel like they should at least be in middle school. I think this because they are getting ready to go to highschool and many things could happen that would cause them to inform the children's parent, and also if they are in any after school activities.

• I believe that middle school is around the earliest that children should get a phone. It really depends on the maturity of the child and how neccesary it is for them to have one. This is just a huge judgement call from the parents.

• I got my phone in 6th grade but didn't get a number on it untils the end of 6th grade. I don't think children should get a phone when they're really young because they have nothing they need it for. I think a good age to get a phone is around 11-13.

• I got my first phone when I was 12. But, a few months later, my little brother, who I am 4 years older than, got a cell phone too. I felt like he was way to young to get a cell phone. I feel like you have to have a certain level of matureity to be able to handle a cell phone.

• I agree that you have to have a certain level of maturity and responsibility in order to get a phone. I feel it is so different for every single child, so it's hard to put a specific age on the time frame they should get a phone.

• I got a phone when I was 13 years old and I think that it a good age because then you don't get reliant to it at a young age. I think that 13 is a good age to get a phone because it is right before high school and can be used for communication like sports and other activites. 

• I got my phone at the age of 12 as it was a rule in my family. I think children should receive phones once they hit middle school so they should get phones in 6th grade. I think that's a good age because the kids are becoming more reliable.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker